ramdisks....cool or lame?

reaper_

hey i'm just bored so i have a question

something like a ramdisk a cool thing to speed up your system or just buying something like a raptor drive?

sorry just a lonely n00b :lol:

thinking about getting this thing called i-ram

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Storag...Name=GC-RAMDISK

my damn intel mobo died on me so i'm thinking of parts to rebuild the system with... oh well least it was cheap....i had a pentium d 840, 945 board, and win xp pro bundle from intel for 200 bucks since i used to work at comp :)

its supposed to have a battery onboard so im not worried about failures...i turn stuff on without shutting down so ill kill windows anyway lol

id like to run some linux distros on it also if i have some space left over

maybe ill buy one of those ups things for extra power

That ramdisk, compared to a harddrive, is:

- WAY faster

- dead silent

- much cooler (in both senses of the word)

- WAY, WAY more expensive (you don't get the RAM with the card)

- WAY smaller as it maxes out at 4gb.

If you've got the money to burn, go for it. But they made it more as a test to see if it could be done.

Ahhh the next gen :)

Video of it booting

Video of Shutdown/reboot

Saw them on google a while back.

The gigabyte one I think was just then getting out some tech to make us all salivate waiting for the Flash hard disks to come - the Gygabyte one is not SATA-2 either :(

The Flash Hard drives transfer rates don't seem too impressive too me ATM (I think I saw some SATA ones somewhere) but what they do cut down on is power usage - damed good for laptops!

In the intermediate - affordable - future is the hybrid HD's with more flash memory... should help with HD life/notebook power/noise and maybe heat too :)

Oh and Vista will help out a little with HD access - your supposed to be able to use any USB storage device as cache for it.

Edit Seems PQI has a 64GB 2.5" Flash drive comming out this august at $2000! Crazy

There cool but cost too much. You can't RAID them but you could put them in JBOD to make it appear as one disc.

They have an internal battery to keep them from losing all their data so in the event of a power failure but i think having an UPS would be a necessary requirement.

Edit Seems PQI has a 64GB 2.5" Flash drive comming out this august at $2000! Crazy

You have to remember thats Flash memory so won't be as nearly as fast as RAM, plus I don't know how those drives would last as its well known that Flash memory doesn't like to be constantly overwritten.

You have to remember thats Flash memory so won't be as nearly as fast as RAM, plus I don't know how those drives would last as its well known that Flash memory doesn't like to be constantly overwritten.

That's what everyone else is questioning too, I don't think I've seen any specs on that though yet.

But One would assume for them to be marketable they must work... to a degree lol $2000 for a HD that lasts a year :roll:

There cool but cost too much. You can't RAID them but you could put them in JBOD to make it appear as one disc.

What actually stops you from making a RAID array from them? Do they not just appear as a normal disk to your controller then?

Flash memory does have a write endurance limit which can differ depending on the manufacturer and the quality of there product, but you can make a high quality harddrive using Flash memory that will last for some time and be reliable with constantly overwriting but that will drive up production costs which companies don’t like.

I think you have to have at least a three year life span to make it marketable.

Is that a joke? You know 40 microseconds is 40 millionths of a second right? Even 15K RPM drives don't get anywhere near that, usually more like 3 or 4 milliseconds, that's 3000 or 4000 microseconds.

Sorry was 1/2 asleep I mistook Micro for Milli :D *incert various appendage - oo er misses - jokes here*

:p I coud of just said it was a joke and gotten away with it too lol

Sorry was 1/2 asleep I mistook Micro for Milli :D *incert various appendage - oo er misses - jokes here*

:p I coud of just said it was a joke and gotten away with it too lol

And now it's quoted so you never can! Muahahaha!