Uh Oh. VB Coursework not saved?!

pritchard9

Im doing my computing studies coursework at the moment. It's really simple - just knock up a simple GUI, and design and implement a program for rating computer systems, all in VB.

However, I think ive made thee biggest, noobiest mistake in the world. I only saved the project..

So i only went

File > Save project as..

I expected that to also save the form aswell.

So i took the saved files home to do some basic bug-fixing, and to optimize the code a little, and it's refusing to open due to the lack of "form1.frm".

Am I missing something? Im afraid that I havent saved it properly, and have to start it again..

Thanks.

Okay.

Turns out I had saved it, just not put it onto my USB drive *blushes*

Sooo I took it home, and fired up "Microsoft Visual Studio 2008". But its all weird. Its not recognising basic commands that were recogised at school, like "print" and "cls".

Any ideas? Are the changes between versions big enough that programs written in old versions cant be run in newer ones?

EDIT: I think ive worked it out. At school, i was working with VB6. At home, I have VB.net in Visual Studio 2008. Is there a difference? NOOOB..

Thanks again.

VB6 and VB.Net are completely incompatable, so unless you want to convert your code each time you add something on one end you're going to have to get VB6 which is very hard to find legit since it's like forever old. Just checked on eBay, it would run you ~$180 which is absurd.

Cheers for all the replies :).

Had a look for VB6 myself, and its pretty hard to get. Well, legitimately, anyways. Ive seen a few "portable" versions kicking about. Its tempting, but I think ill just wait until i get back to school to work on it.

Again, thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

I got a copy, but I'm not about to post it up to get in trouble. Hope you understand....

Best of luck with your studies. Why the heck are they teaching you vb6? You should be learning vb.net, most preferably 2008 though thier already working towards the 2010 version of visual studio.... its just about impossible to keep up with these things.

Make sure you take what you learn in vb6 and play around in vs 2008 at home so get used to the differences between the two since .net is the present and future.

I got a copy, but I'm not about to post it up to get in trouble. Hope you understand....

Best of luck with your studies. Why the heck are they teaching you vb6? You should be learning vb.net, most preferably 2008 though thier already working towards the 2010 version of visual studio.... its just about impossible to keep up with these things.

Make sure you take what you learn in vb6 and play around in vs 2008 at home so get used to the differences between the two since .net is the present and future.

Yeah, i understand. MS will hunt you down..

But I gave in to temptation and downloaded me one, so im all good now :).

Yeah, thanks for the advice. If VB6 is as old and outdated as you say, I dont know why Im being taught it either. I guess its only a Higher course in secondary school (from scotland :)), so its not vitally important. No doubt that when i get older and onto further education, il dabble in many more programming languages.

Thanks.