Internet connection!

So, something just hit me, and it might all be in my head, but Darren talks, and posts, as though he uses the Fon in all cozy in that little pineapple cup with the antenna sticking out through the straw hole and room enough for batteries and love. Now, like I said, maybe that's just my perceptual suspicion, but how would the Fon connect to the internet while in the pineapple like that, as I recall while using it on the show he had it in his pocket connected via ethernet cable, so... yep, that.

Am I knowingly wondering about nothing, or am I completely missing something?

i believe you can also connect to it from wifi or ethernet. How do you think he connects to it when he stashes and uses it at conventions. Jasager just exploits the general hassle of making a connection on your OS. it says your home wifi is ready for the mark to surf. even though the mark is not at home.

He just specifies the internet connection to come from another AP that will most likely be locked down so the above happens.

i believe you can also connect to it from wifi or ethernet. How do you think he connects to it when he stashes and uses it at conventions. Jasager just exploits the general hassle of making a connection on your OS. it says your home wifi is ready for the mark to surf. even though the mark is not at home.

He just specifies the internet connection to come from another AP that will most likely be locked down so the above happens.

Er... one Fon, so far as I know, can't run as a wireless client and AP at the same time, can it? :/ If so, awesome, but yeah, I was curious.

The madwifi drivers allow multiple virtual devices. With a single fon you can have one as an AP and one as a client or two APs. The main AP is the one that is targeting victims, the other is providing the internet.

This isn't very efficient as the one wireless chipset is switching between both tasks but it does work.

That is what people do, the only problem is that you generally have to connect to the phone via wireless which goes back to the problem of using the wireless for two purposes.

My idea, which I've never tried, is to put two fons back to back joined via ethernet. One is the AP for the victims, the other for the internet connection.

That is what people do, the only problem is that you generally have to connect to the phone via wireless which goes back to the problem of using the wireless for two purposes.

My idea, which I've never tried, is to put two fons back to back joined via ethernet. One is the AP for the victims, the other for the internet connection.

Would the efficiency gain be worth the added cost? After all you said the point was to create an inexpensive pen testing took right? More than doubling the cost would have to make this work much better, and at the moment there don't seem to be any real problems. The only thing I see wanting would be an app which scans traffic and saves certain predetermined types of data (logins, addresses, names, cookies, whatever) and uploads it somewhere. You could have it save it to an SD card if you modded it which might even be easier, but realistically, in keeping with the idea on hand, you don't want to HAVE to be able to recover it.

A guide for setting up a double, just set one up to connect to an AP and bridge its wired and wireless, do the same thing on the other fon then put them both on the same subnet with the internet one as the default gateway.

As for double fons, it depends on what your situation is, if you are in a position where you can safely drop a package and know it will stay in place and you need good throughput then two is better than one. If all you need is a potentially disposable device and you don't really care about throughput then a single is fine.