Linux - Stop holding our kids back

WreckeD

http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2008/12/linu...-kids-back.html

"...observed one of my students with a group of other children gathered around his laptop. Upon looking at his computer, I saw he was giving a demonstration of some sort. The student was showing the ability of the laptop and handing out Linux disks. After confiscating the disks I called a confrence with the student and that is how I came to discover you and your organization. Mr. Starks, I am sure you strongly believe in what you are doing but I cannot either support your efforts or allow them to happen in my classroom. At this point, I am not sure what you are doing is legal. No software is free and spreading that misconception is harmful. These children look up to adults for guidance and discipline. I will research this as time allows and I want to assure you, if you are doing anything illegal, I will pursue charges as the law allows. Mr. Starks, I along with many others tried Linux during college and I assure you, the claims you make are grossly over-stated and hinge on falsehoods. I admire your attempts in getting computers in the hands of disadvantaged people but putting linux on these machines is holding our kids back.

This is a world where Windows runs on virtually every computer and putting on a carnival show for an operating system is not helping these children at all. I am sure if you contacted Microsoft, they would be more than happy to supply you with copies of an older verison of Windows and that way, your computers would actually be of service to those receiving them..."

the list can go on FOSS and all its major supporters, the human gnome project, the countless schools, businesses that use linux

some people were just never meant to use a computer

jeese his responce to her letter flat out owned her lmao

and if i was that student i wouldnt have givin her the disks... just becus she asks for something doesnt mean she has the right to take it

i hope she learns a valuable lesson... i also hope she realizes that if she was paying for linux in her college days she totally got owned lol

Anonymous said...

I can attest to this behavior. I have been working with a few high school students in Orlando, FL who were SUSPENDED for sharing Ubuntu disks.

The comment was that there is no such thing as a "FREE" operating system, this is pirated software.

Unbelievable.

that is a quote from a comment in the same article

if that happened to me i would take up some legal action with the school... infact i might just get some live cds and hand them out at school and if i get in trouble... infact i HOPE i do

that is a quote from a comment in the same article

if that happened to me i would take up some legal action with the school... infact i might just get some live cds and hand them out at school and if i get in trouble... infact i HOPE i do

Yeah, I would take legal action. Then use the money to start my own OS :D