• Windows XP
  • Windows Vista
  • EeeXubuntu 7.10 (Not sure)
  • Slax
  • DSL
  • BT
  • Debian (Possibly)
  • Windows 2000, NT, Me

There are certain super tweaked Windows XP versions that only takes up about 300-800 MB.

A normal Windows XP installation possibly takes up around 1,3 Gig..

Get a Windows XP disc image and download a program called Nlite. And then delete the components you don't need.

Such as printer drivers and unnecessary utilities.

Good luck!

If the SSD wasen't big enough, I am sure you can invest in an SDHC card (4GB) and install on that.

as ive said from the start you can boot to a flash or sd card and if you went to that site i posted they can tell you how to add flash and sdhc cards internally

im going to start my project with modding my eeepc tomorrow ill post pics when i have it all done

bluetooth

flash and sdhc

touch screen

GPS

and what ever else i can cram in there

slick the drive for 1,

2, get xubuntu which is less than 720mb,

actually, get puppy if you want, @ like 200 mb it's super lightweight

but for more functionality get xubuntu.

xp should be fine, seen it alot on eeepc2g's

yah, the mem. card upgrade (sdcard) should be something you want to look at.

if anything do the hdd mod, youll be happy you did.

nLite - Deployment Tool for the bootable Unattended Windows

With nLite you will be able to have Windows installation which on install does not include, or even contain on media, the unwanted components.

Puppy Linux

Puppy really is small, the live-CD typically being 85MB, yet there really is a complete set of GUI applications. Being so small, Puppy usually loads completely into RAM, which accounts for the incredible speed.

TinyMe

Hello and welcome to the TinyMe project! TinyMe, a remaster of PCLinuxOS, comes packaged in a miniscule 200MB or smaller ISO. We do this for those of you who have old computers, like to mess around with small/fast systems, or just want a minimal environment. TinyMe is comparable to distributions like Puppy, AntiX, and DSL. If you like small distributions of Linux, give TinyMe a try.

to name a few, google is your friend

Sorry to point out the obvious, but:

It should be possible to get Ubuntu running on a system with the following minimum hardware specification, although it is unlikely that the system would run well. You should use the Alternate install CD to attempt such an installation.

# 300 MHz x86 processor

# 64 MB of system memory (RAM)

# At least 4 GB of disk space (for full installation and swap space)

# VGA graphics card capable of 640x480 resolution

# CD-ROM drive or network card

That said, if you purchase a $30.00 USD 16 GB SDHC Card ( http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Memory-TS1...2532&sr=8-1 ), put it in the EEEpc's SD card slot, install Ubuntu on that with the default settings, and boot from it, you should be fine!

TELL ME IF I'M WRONG!

Thanks for the ideas everyone... I'm going to attempt an XP install.

I was going to try puppeee but its wireless software only supports WEP, (and my Time Capsule is running WPA, and I don't want to change all my other clients)

I would have stuck with xandros but I formatted it before I realized that I could change the interface to advanced mode, and the recovery CD requires that it be installed from a CD. I know that sounds really dumb.

Thanks for the ideas everyone... I'm going to attempt an XP install.

Follow the guide from http://wiki.eeeuser.com/

I was going to try puppeee but its wireless software only supports WEP, (and my Time Capsule is running WPA, and I don't want to change all my other clients)

I think it would have been solved by installing WPA Supplement.

I would have stuck with xandros but I formatted it before I realized that I could change the interface to advanced mode, and the recovery CD requires that it be installed from a CD. I know that sounds really dumb.

I restored my eee pc once using a 2GB USB Drive.

PS You can check http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ for more useful info on eee...

not really i have a usb to ide adapter that runs cd real nice on my EeePC ;) a good investment for you maybe.

i also wouldnt install windows. should try dsl or slax real small real light real nice real customizable

• 1 year later...