linux distro

RogueHart

what is your personal preference for linux distro's?

got to hang out with my stepdad for the first time in about 3 years (hes military) and he is the kind of person who buys a lot of software and stuff and doesnt do any warez whatsoever. but he said he was gonna get a new hdd for his desktop and turn put linux on his old one.

ive been thinking about partitioning my hdd in this laptop and dual booting linux.

so what distros do you use other than backtrack.

and a side question. never partitioned a drive. it is possible to remove the partition and return a hdd to its original state without wiping out the data right? i dont mean resizing the partition i mean removing it. like if i took about 20 gigs and made it a linux partition then i decided i wanted to go back to windows or i got a new linux system. could i remove the partition and return to having a full hdd again

edit

if it helps suggesting any (if your going to make suggestions in your post) im going to use it mostly for development and programming. while my stepdad is military intelligence and does a lot of work in word. but he also uses his comp heavily for gaming, music, movies, ect, ect.

edit

ive got a dr.dos cd and this is also an off topic question but would it work well for the partitioning?

You can always delete a partition, my require a little technical whimsy but the data isnt wiped either. It should still be recovered until you write over it.

The first linux distro I played with was slax, then i went to fedora and now im pretty much a ubuntu fan, linux mint atm. I am really happy with this distro and the great hardware support..

You can always delete a partition, my require a little technical whimsy but the data isnt wiped either. It should still be recovered until you write over it.

The first linux distro I played with was slax, then i went to fedora and now im pretty much a ubuntu fan, linux mint atm. I am really happy with this distro and the great hardware support..

ive heard a lot from ubuntu. the only thing ive used so far is the knoppix live distro. one of the old cdr sized ones. always enjoyed using it since it was great for dev

i would go for ubuntu its all rounded its got a nice interface and theres tons of stuff you can do with it. As for the partitioning if you mean you want to resize a partition then yes you can and nothing should go wrong unless you mess too much around with partition tables

I tend to like Debian.

Backtrack3 comes in handy.

I love to see smart peoples homebrew setups, always gives me great ideas.

I don't like Fedora 9, it seems I always have extreme difficulties in doing simple things like configuring the network. Frustrates me to the point of not using it, because I don't have as much time to waste these days.

I dont tend to use linux, I generally use FreeBSD with Linux-Binary Compatibility turned on and X + KDE.

What distro you choose really depends on what you want to do.

Ubuntu is for general computer usage (Web Browsing, Email, IM, Word Processing etc)

Ubuntu Studio comes in handy if you are a media guy

there are so many distributions of linux because the code its built on is freely available right? where? lol

thanks. ive always wondered how youd go about coding an os.

anyway im giving ubuntu a shot. wondering if it can stack up against knoppix :P