To Macbook Pro or not to Macbook Pro?

hyptix

Hi guys I'm looking into getting a Macbook Pro not one of these new retarded no mouse button ones but the last gen ones, it will be a secondary laptop as I primarily run a windows laptop. I need something moderatley specced and a normal macbook isn't up to scratch. I was just wandering how you guys get on with yours or any of you are selling your old ones in favour of the newer models? If so get in touch!

while you can get a used mac book pro for a ok price. if you go with a windows based laptop, you will get better hardware specs for your money and you wont be forced up upgrade to a new OS each year like with the mac os where when ever a new os comes out, all new programs require the latest mac os (especially with games)

PS if you go with a used laptop from a online store or ebay, be sure to go with one with a return policy

haven't had much experience with getting used laptops but I have seen a few of my friends get used monitors and the main reason why lcd monitors get sold as used is due to either dead pixels or dirt in between the lcd and the backlight layer, or backlight bleeding

I use an Air & I have to say it's far more amazing to use than any Windows laptop I've ever laid my hands on.

I found out when visiting my local apple store that the new Macbook & Macbook Pros actually do have a click button; it's built into the bottom half of the track pad, so to click you just click the trackpad.

As JJ said, once you go Mac you won't go back.

I use an Air & I have to say it's far more amazing to use than any Windows laptop I've ever laid my hands on.

I found out when visiting my local apple store that the new Macbook & Macbook Pros actually do have a click button; it's built into the bottom half of the track pad, so to click you just click the trackpad.

As JJ said, once you go Mac you won't go back.

Airs are such a waste of money. Sorry, just had to say it.

A similar spec laptop made by Sager from PC Torque would cost you $1200 not $2000...

I pay for performance not looks...

Now if your looking at the 17" models then your paying $1000 USD over a Sager, however, the sager has a better graphics card! The Mac has the 8600M GT while the Sager has a 9800M GTS

So you basically paying 800+ for a laptop case and OS X, is it worth it?

A similar spec laptop made by Sager from PC Torque would cost you $1200 not $2000...

I pay for performance not looks...

Now if your looking at the 17" models then your paying $1000 USD over a Sager, however, the sager has a better graphics card! The Mac has the 8600M GT while the Sager has a 9800M GTS

So you basically paying 800+ for a laptop case and OS X, is it worth it?

It's not just about the hardware that goes into it. It's about the Operating System, the design and quality of the components and casing, it's about the support you get and the customer care that you recieve.

People buy a Mac for a reason, it's not for the hardware inside of it, it's because it's far more effective at doing what people want it to do. To be reliable, durable, easy to use, hastle free and a joy to use & carry.

It's about quality, not quantity.

It's not just about the hardware that goes into it. It's about the Operating System, the design and quality of the components and casing, it's about the support you get and the customer care that you recieve.

People buy a Mac for a reason, it's not for the hardware inside of it, it's because it's far more effective at doing what people want it to do. To be reliable, durable, easy to use, hastle free and a joy to use & carry.

It's about quality, not quantity.

the mac os cost $100 (much cheaper than xp pro and much much much cheaper than vista )

based on logic, the macbooks should be cheaper than windows based laptops as there using the same hardware and a cheaper OS

you get a much shorter warranty than with almost any other company. ( many of the parts i used to build my main pc have at least a 5 year warranty )

apple is quick to drop support for their old os.

look at how old windows xp is but every single new app will work on it

but look at the mac os, when ever a new version of the os comes out, you have to buy it in order to run new apps that came out after the new os did

for example. most games, (look at the requirements for spore )

this brings most mac fanboys into the habit of going crazy over the latest macbook pro, when ever a new one comes out, you see a whole bunch of people go crazy over getting it, but when a new windows based laptop comes out, you don't really notice it until you feel a need for a new laptop because your not forced into upgrading the new os that comes out every year

a more cost effective thing would be getting a windows based laptop or windows based desktop pc that has the same specs for half the price then go through the annoying seemingly endless steps in order to install it (because of apples annoying DRM ) (just find it annoying why they cant make the steps completely automated, if they can put the steps in a text file then why not just make an installer to do all of the steps for you)

Most of your points are invalid or just utterly cringe-worthy.

for example. most games, (look at the requirements for spore )

Yeah, cool. Let's play a game that embeds a DRM rootkit on your system.

look at how old windows xp is but every single new app will work on it

If you look at OS X software the majority is supported back to OS 7. Also new apps work on XP because the majority of PC users hate Vista (for what ever reason). The mere fact that most people would greatly prefer an older MS OS over a newer one is a huge MS fail.

you get a much shorter warranty than with almost any other company

12 months standard warranty is the default for 98% of hardware and retail items. Apple offered me 3 years for £35 extra.

the mac os cost $100 (much cheaper than xp pro and much much much cheaper than vista )

It's about the same price actually. OS X is $130 and is only avaliable to be used for upgrading an old mac. Much like the MS windows upgrade packages which are half the price of retail packages.

macbook 2.0 w/ 4gb of ram!!! i have to say it again

ONCE U GO MAC U NEVER GO BACK!!!!

thats why if mac is right for you then just build a windows based gaming pc with better specs for half the price then use the modded installer to get leopard installed and you will get the joy of leopard and the affordable high performance hardware of a gaming pc

my mates new macbook with 9400m graphics, 2gig DDR3 and 2ghz core2duo is fast, looks amazing and it rocks. its so nice i want one :)

i have to say, even tho im a pc person, mac ftw:)