remote access

RogueHart

ive recently upgraded to a new laptop. but i still use the old one for torrents and file storage.

i was wondering if anyone knows of a way i can connect to the old laptop from my new one and view/control the torrents? ive got complete administrative access so it would be legal regardless of the method i used.

yeah im gonna go ahead and second the ultravnc suggestion. its free and it works. but theres a lot of different remote control apps avail.

ive recently upgraded to a new laptop. but i still use the old one for torrents and file storage.

i was wondering if anyone knows of a way i can connect to the old laptop from my new one and view/control the torrents? ive got complete administrative access so it would be legal regardless of the method i used.

If these are both Windows boxes, why not use RDP? There is no reason to use a 3rd party like VNC with Windows machines... Unless they are running XP Home edition.

If these are both Windows boxes, why not use RDP? There is no reason to use a 3rd party like VNC with Windows machines... Unless they are running XP Home edition.

ultravnc is more feature rich and has more options than Remote Desktop.

ultravnc is more feature rich and has more options than Remote Desktop.

What features are you referring to?

Don't a lot of torrent programs have web based adminsitration built in? I know uTorrent does, although I never tried to use it.

im already using uvnc and it works fine.

i wouldnt use the online administration for the torrent because theres more than just that. right now im putting it through a workout doing photoshop from the other room. works quite well. this lets me turn the other computer into basically a seperate os+partition for the same laptop.

uvnc extends that old computers uses quite a lot. since i dont have to hog the procesing power of this laptop or take up massive ammounts of storage with my ps work or music work. i can store it on there or in the case of photoshop i can make the stuff remotely then transfer it to this laptop for use and keep it on the other for a backup.

you can bash uvnc as much as you want but im liking it. adds about an extra 30gigs plus seperate processing power to this laptop for me. if i can get uvnc on a usb it also allows me connection from anywhere i can access the web.

I have used several types of VNC and I am yet to like one. Not to mention that in most cases you run into issues with VNC when the client and the target resolutions are different.

If the laptop he is trying to remote to is a Windows machine (I suppose he is not running home edition of any kind), his best way to go is to use Remote Desktop. Even if the laptop he is connecting from is a Linux machine, he can use rdesktop to remote to the source computer. Rdesktop works perfectly as a client on any Linux. I use it every day.

It is also not true that the Linux users like VNC. There is no need of VNC on Linux at all, since X11 is built into Linux. To remote from one Linux machine to another you don't need any third party stuff. And, if you want to connect to a Windows machine, you always have rdesktop for that.

im satisfied with uvnc. it works easily and smoothly. i use it to chat on irc and manage my server.