Church of Wifi WPA-PSK Rainbow Tables

Spliff666

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you find yourself constantly cracking into a network with the same SSID rainbow tables are great. Taking the time to compile your own is an excellent choice as well. If you use programs such as jack the ripper and cowpatty you can get very extensive tables that include a-z 0-9 and even the special characters. Mind you this can take time, but you can get yourself a 100% complete file that contains every possible outcome. The files may get large, but this is possible.

If you find yourself constantly cracking into a network with the same SSID rainbow tables are great. Taking the time to compile your own is an excellent choice as well. If you use programs such as jack the ripper and cowpatty you can get very extensive tables that include a-z 0-9 and even the special characters. Mind you this can take time, but you can get yourself a 100% complete file that contains every possible outcome. The files may get large, but this is possible.

Making a rainbow table , for example: linksys, with every possible combo to 7 letters would probably run over a TB. Rainbow tables are good for some decent word lists, but if it is not a "wordlist" string, GPU cracking should be the way to go.

My old laptop was a Mac so I couldn't run any of the GPU based hashcats on there, that is why I kept hold of them. My new one has an NVidia GPU but I've not done any comparison on speed between the i7 quad core vs the GPU.

I'd normally offload cracking back to my desktop with dual GPUs but having the flexability to do stuff from the laptop while on site is always good.