Dell Inspiron Mini 9

Darren Kitchen

It was bound to happen. I just wish the release specs matched the rumored specs.

http://gizmodo.com/5045220/dell-inspiron-m...-399-ubuntu-349

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/con...amp;x=7&y=8

Intel Atom 1.6

8.9" 1024x600

Black, 4GB SSD and 512MB RAM for $350

$25 more for white

$25 more for 1GB RAM

$35 more for 8GB SSD

$75 more for 16GB SSD

$20 more for integrated Bluetooth (wish that was an option on all netbooks)

$15 more for integrated 0.3 Megapixel camera

$25 more for integrated 1.3 Meagpixel camera

Totally pimped: $519

I like the form factor--looks like a decent keyboard^h^h^h^h^h^h^h + decent track pad. Dispite it's moderately high cost fully pimped I actually like the price structure. I'm not sure all OEMs can afford to custom build to order so that option is out for many but just the ability to pay a little more for an integrated bluetooth (camera should be standard) would be nice. Then again, as seen here it's not that difficult to do it yourself ;) http://twitpic.com/9zvu

edit: never mind on the keyboard. Turns out the leaked pics were right, no F-keys or |. So lemme get this, it ships with Ubuntu but doesn't have a pipe key. How the frak are you supposed to navigate the terminal without pipe?

Thoughts?

Here in the UK, its a slighty better story in some ways.

The spec is currently only available in the below, but at £299 including delivery I think its a nice package, almost makes me thing I should of waited and not got my Aspire One, but I have had it a while and loving it. (Must think positive)

So the spec here is as follows:

Inspiron Mini - Only in Black at the Moment

1.6Ghz Atom

XP Home Edition

1.3MP Camera

8.9" TrueLife Screen

1GB Ram

16GB SSD

Intel 950 Graphics Card

Wireless b/g (Not sure on chipset)

Bluetooth

4 Cell Battery

Yeah, only problem being that £299 = $600. I hate the UK for electronics, such a rip off. I've been looking at these baby laptops for a while, but haven't found one that ticks all the boxes. OK so they're small enough to carry, and if you already carry a laptop its a godsend. But... I have a laptop, and I don't carry it. I don't really need a laptop, but I would like portable internet access.... on a phone, with a screen bigger than my pinkie, that didn't cost £600. Maybe someday. </rant>

I ordered:

Memory 1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM

Video Card Integrated Intel® Graphic Media Accelerator 950

Hard Drive 16GB Solid State Hard Drive

Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition

Wireless Dell 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Mini-Card

Bluetooth Dell Integrated Bluetooth Wireless card

Primary Battery 4-cell 2200AHr Battery

Processor Intel ® Atom™ Processor N270 (1.60GHz, 533MHz, 512K cache)

Camera Integrated 1.3MP Camera

LCD 8.9" WSVGA (WLED) Truelife Display

Dell are taking up to 15 days to ship these orders apparently, I shall not be happy if this is the case.

Congrats Vako, I eagerly await your review!

What configuration did you get?

I'm really interested in getting a high res look at that keyboard and your impressions on the build quality.

Agreed, Dell doesn't muck around when it comes to their notebooks.

Darren,

there is currently only one spec available here in the UK.

Insipron Mini 9 Going for $99 if You Buy Another Dell

Until 6AM September 9th, according to Dell's own blog, if you buy a Studio 15, XPS M1530 or XPS M1330 machine from Dell, you can buy an Insipron Mini 9 for a suitable mini price of $99. It's a mini bargain.

http://gizmodo.com/5045262/insipron-mini-9...uy-another-dell

Yeah, only problem being that £299 = $600. I hate the UK for electronics, such a rip off. I've been looking at these baby laptops for a while, but haven't found one that ticks all the boxes. OK so they're small enough to carry, and if you already carry a laptop its a godsend. But... I have a laptop, and I don't carry it. I don't really need a laptop, but I would like portable internet access.... on a phone, with a screen bigger than my pinkie, that didn't cost £600. Maybe someday. </rant>

You can't look at it like that when it comes to exchange rates. You need to look at things like cost of living, the market, pay and so on £299 is a good price. Besides the UK's economy is going down the shitter so it's only $528.90