Bootable U3 / Switchblade

Bob1001

Hi

I've been searching and trying to find out if it is possible to install a Linux live distro onto

a U3 usb without damaging the U3 partition. (i.e. have the u3 partition, a bootable partion

and then 2 or 3 other 'normal' partitions)

Therefore, you could have a bootable Linux distro, or a Switchblade, depending on what

the situation required.

Anybody have any ideas about this?

Also, does anybody know anything about the apparent usb device driver exploit? (http://secunia.com/advisories/16210/)

If anybody has any information that could send me in the right direction, it would be appreciated.

I would like to try and get this working.

Thanks in advance.

Bob1001

You can try either damnsmalllinux or (if you have at least 1GB free on your bootable partition) backtrack 3.

I recommend backtrack3 before damnsmalllinux, as BT3 has got all the stuff you need. The U3 part is only needed when using in windows XP. If you can boot of another partitiion of your stick, use that one.

Good luck !

vanguard

i wonder, if it is possible to hack the cd image to work as most linux discs have an autoplay for win and are bootable

any thoughts on this?

tho i fear that the image is not something that is available without the win driver

• 4 weeks later...

Better to install GRUB (or any bootloader) and the live OS on the mass storage side from my POV, as there would be wider BIOS support for booting from USB mass storage, than those recognising the CD device emulated in the U3 drive. I've tried 5 different motherboards, and none will recognise the CD device in BIOS, when filled with a bootable ISO (tried BT3 on 3, Xubuntu Hardy on the other 2). However all but one recognised the mass storage and supported booting from it.

If there was better BIOS support for the USB CD device, it would be handy for ISOs that don't have a USB boot equivalent. Also, if it were the case, the bootable ISO could be made to hold a switchblade starting script etc, so it still serves its purpose on a Windows box.

Perhaps just the bootloader on the mass storage side could chainboot from the CD side, and the CD side could itself be bootable for those BIOS' that support it. Covering all bases that way; well, you could carry a boot floppy for the PCs that don't support USB booting, then you'd cover all the realistic bases.

• 1 month later...

Yes you can!!

I have done so with my U3 drive.

It has backtrack 3 bootable, where as If I plug it into a computer(thats capable of booting from USB) and turn on the computer, and select boot from USB on the boot menu (after pressing the right key usually F12) it will boot up backtrack 3 instead of the host OS.

Also if I plug my device into any Windows XP machine my custom ISO will autorun my app. (it doesn't work on vista though)

So yes its possible to make your drive bootable, and still have your U3 autorun intact for windows machines...

With backtrack 3 its simple to set the drive up to boot, follow the instructions. Just make sure you change the MBR of your USB drive not anything else!!

In all honesty mate i must admit that a bootable version of the U3 is entirely possible but a switchblade although possible is pointless, that would draw attention on any good network and most higher networks have bios passwords with the USb excluded from the boot list, it seems ok in theory but would be fairly pointless compared to the autorun switchblade and its speed

• 1 month later...
Yes you can!!

I have done so with my U3 drive.

It has backtrack 3 bootable, where as If I plug it into a computer(thats capable of booting from USB) and turn on the computer, and select boot from USB on the boot menu (after pressing the right key usually F12) it will boot up backtrack 3 instead of the host OS.

Also if I plug my device into any Windows XP machine my custom ISO will autorun my app. (it doesn't work on vista though)

So yes its possible to make your drive bootable, and still have your U3 autorun intact for windows machines...

With backtrack 3 its simple to set the drive up to boot, follow the instructions. Just make sure you change the MBR of your USB drive not anything else!!

what version of U3 drive did you use ? i been looking into preserving the u3 functionality and booting...

ive already make a backtrack bootable usbdrive before but it wasnt u3.... did you use the same process?