Which OS (x64)

MRGRIM

You may have read that my HDD fell over a few weeks ago, well last night it finally gave up the ghost so I have a new drive arriving tomorrow.

Anyway, I am just wondering what OS to gun for, I tried XP PRO x64 when it was an early release (2-3 years ago)

I have a Vista Ultimate x64 and am wondering if this is going to be any better than XP? What is driver support like for the x64 platform now? What's application support like? Would I be better off just sticking with XP PRO x86?

You may have read that my HDD fell over a few weeks ago, well last night it finally gave up the ghost so I have a new drive arriving tomorrow.

Anyway, I am just wondering what OS to gun for, I tried XP PRO x64 when it was an early release (2-3 years ago)

I have a Vista Ultimate x64 and am wondering if this is going to be any better than XP? What is driver support like for the x64 platform now? What's application support like? Would I be better off just sticking with XP PRO x86?

Vista x64 is significantly better than XP x64. Driver support is better, application support (what little there is for x64 right now) is better, and from what I hear, it's generally more stable.

XP Pro x86 is still the best in terms of compatibility with older apps but that will change, while XP is the most compatible I've found that for the most part, Vista (x86/x64) isn't far behind.

The only thing you do have to watch for with Vista x64 is if you don't have signed drivers, they won't be able to work properly. For example, to use my TV/capture card in Vista x64 I have to choose to disable signed driver checking every time I boot. The card is very old though, and in all fairness it was too old when XP was released so I can't fault Vista for not supporting it. All my other hardware works flawlessly though, so thumbs up there.

Vista x64 is significantly better than XP x64. Driver support is better, application support (what little there is for x64 right now) is better, and from what I hear, it's generally more stable.

XP Pro x86 is still the best in terms of compatibility with older apps but that will change, while XP is the most compatible I've found that for the most part, Vista (x86/x64) isn't far behind.

The only thing you do have to watch for with Vista x64 is if you don't have signed drivers, they won't be able to work properly. For example, to use my TV/capture card in Vista x64 I have to choose to disable signed driver checking every time I boot. The card is very old though, and in all fairness it was too old when XP was released so I can't fault Vista for not supporting it. All my other hardware works flawlessly though, so thumbs up there.

Good info, my box is only a year or so old, I think the only thing I'll lose is my "Eye Toy Play" webcam ;) which isn't a loss at all really. How is Vista x64 looking for SLI support? Moving to Vista x64 could spark a buying spree as depending on answer I'd need a new graphics card :P as my 2 7600GT's would be useless 8600 here I come, no SLI :P so Dual 22" Monitors, no web cam :P couple of IP Cam round the house :blink: there' most of next months pay gone :D

Never used SLI/CrossFire on Vista personally but if you did decide to get a new video card I'd definitely throw in a vote for the 8600GT, it's cheap and cheerful but easily powerful enough for most things. Older games work like a charm at 1600x1200 and newer games are very playable. I have dual monitors on mine and it runs just great.