RSS feed wallpaper?

Brennan

Well, interesting idea! RSS feeds normaly come as .xlm, right? There are programs that can filter out all the <tag>-stuff so that you are left with only the actual text.

Now you only need a program that somehow turns this text into an image. I think I remeber that the Hak5-Crew built this wake-up-and-read-rss-thing also with their printer. You know, the news would come out of your printer every morning. Now wouldn't it be possible to instead of printing it, saving it as a pdf and then converting this to a normal jpg and then put this into your desktop-folder!

I don't know much about coding, but I think this could be done with a little bit of work (maybe also a lot of work^^)!

I'd like to hear what others have to say about this!

Might be able to mod this: https://sourceforge.net/projects/txt2img/ to your needs and then have it spit it out to you for manipulation be a sperate program that can then take it and set it as wallpaper.

Somewhere on here we wrote a little bat script that set random wallpapers on reboots(windows only) but the concept is not new. Just apply it to any OS. Might be a good little community project. Might even make it to an episode if enough people get behind it.

Might be able to mod this: https://sourceforge.net/projects/txt2img/ to your needs and then have it spit it out to you for manipulation be a sperate program that can then take it and set it as wallpaper.

Somewhere on here we wrote a little bat script that set random wallpapers on reboots(windows only) but the concept is not new. Just apply it to any OS. Might be a good little community project. Might even make it to an episode if enough people get behind it.

why not instead of messing around with static images create a dynamic background ? like you have those stellar wallpapers etc ...

or like wall32 : http://www.geocities.com/bartelyoti/wall/

This would be why they invented Active Desktop on Windows (or at least an evolution of the reason). Windows can show HTML pages on its desktop instead of wallpaper, and will render anything (whichever version of) IE (you have installed) can.

This would be why they invented Active Desktop on Windows (or at least an evolution of the reason). Windows can show HTML pages on its desktop instead of wallpaper, and will render anything (whichever version of) IE (you have installed) can.

Very usfull for anoying people.

yeah but i dont think vista or even xp x64 still have it (cos of the security risk :s?) or at least they dont have the option visible like win2000 and xp x32 had...

Yeah, but what about other OS's? There should be a way to do it for them using some sort of alternative to Windows and VBS.

Not that I run anything other than windows, but still, just to figure out how to do it would be enough of a challenge in itself. I dont even care to have RSS feeds on my desktop, but I am interested in how it can be done and make it cross platform. Might come in handy for something else down the road, maybe not with RSS feeds, but some other scenario that might be usefull.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I guess we could have a hack to re-enable active desktop, even on machines that never had it to begin with.

Once that is done, just create a good HTML page and embed the rss feed there.

For the ads, just figure out how the ads work, then truncate the results.