I want to make a video ad that looks professional, Any free option?

hsncorrosion

A professional video ad?

Higher a writer or twelve, a director, necessary actors (including voice actors), a sound engineer, one or more camera people, a prop engineer, a lighting engineer and have a good product,. If you manage all this you might have some thing.

What do the CG studios (Pixar and the like) use?

I herd from the Internet that they exclusively use Linux (probably because of it's ability to distribute CPU time and there for cut down rendering time) and obviously any software like that on Linux is going to cost allot. Any way, any one know what it is they actually use?

I think the big CG houses use stuff they write themselves tbh. As for linux I can see a lot of firms using clusters of Dell servers running linux for render farms as its cheaper than sgi and the like, but on the desktop it will probally be CinePaint if its not something propriety or the usual list of mac/windows non-free stuff.

I kno wyou don't like WIndows Movie Maker, but http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/ has a lot of tutorials and links to free software. It's not Movie Make that is the problem, but usually the quality of the production. If filmed and edited properly, you can export it as a DV file(although they are huge) in Movie Maker and then improt it into something like Flash to make videos for web sites and web ads. It's all in how you use what you have. The only thing Movie Maker lacks is a nice interface to add multiple video layers and audio. Other than that, it gets the job done. You can apply good technique and skill to any off the shelf software so long as you know what yoru doing but no amount of money or top of the line software will make a damn bit of difference if your source is horrible.