Help with setting up a router.

Xqtftqx

Ok, i just moved to my new house, and i whent to get my router working for my laptop. but some reason when i hook up the router, my computer Nor laptop cant get connection. its a Dlink DI-624 Router, Hooked up through a cable modem and then ran to my computer. if i run without the router it works fine. any body know the problem?

There could be a number of issues, first, make sure the port works.  Plug in your laptop directly to the modem and see if it works (if it does then you are right, the router is F'ed up, if not call your provider).  If that works plug directly into your router and go to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 and check out the settings.  The default password is generally either admin admin, or blank admin.  From there make sure you have an IP address, and have correctly configured security/dhcp.  That is all the help I can really give you until you do this and see what happens.  There could be a number of issues, and it is hard to troubleshoot it unless you are there.  Reply on what works/doesn't.

Oh and this belongs in questions!

I assume that you have ensured that your laptop can access the router's configuration panel and have gone through and configured the router for the proper connection type, etc...

if i run without the router it works fine.

Depending on your ISP, if your cable modem was installed originally with your PC, it may have locked onto your PC's MAC address.  In the web control panel for your router, somewhere, there should be a 'clone MAC address' option.  Using that may fix your problem... good luck.  (Please note that you'll need to use a wired connection from your laptop to the router when doing the cloning so that the router clones the wired NIC's MAC and not your wireless MAC.)

Id say start a new.  You probably still have the cd on hand.  So plug your desktop into the modem, make sure to unplug the power to the modem for 30sec to a 1 min to reset modem.  Rest the router using reset button on the router.  Drop the cd in your computer and follow the instructions.  Then set up you wireless security.  Everything should work beautifully after this. 

Judging by the image of the router google pulled up, you definately don't need a cross-over cable.  It is hard to explain how to first set it up without righting a five page paper, so I suggest trouble shoot it/set it up with the power of google.  This will get you started:  http://www.cruzio.com/support/docs/router_dlink624.html