Grub + usb + linux

FFE

Ok this is part of a collage class, and a personal project.

First the background I'm taking a class on network security.  The teacher asked us to make a couple bootable cd's that boot Knoppix, Backtrack2, TRK, and Helix.  He then continued to issue a challange of a bootable USB Key.  Got to thinken that it would be cool so I start with partitioning the USB key into 4 partitions all under fat 16.  Started with Knoppix and grub, then moved to Backtrack2, then TRK, Lastly Helix.  The good news is I have Knoppix, Backtrack2, and TRK booting wonderfully.  Now on to Helix.  The Helix Iso is can boot off the cd, but when I try to boot on the USB drive it starts then I get this error "can not find helix file system!"  Then drops into a shell with almost no functionality.  Now I have searched google with little findings.  And what I have found doesn't work.  I have a feeling that I just need the right grub command to get it to boot properly.  Now Helix cd uses grub to boot so I decided to use the parameters given by the cd to see if it would work.  My guess is my parameters are wrong on the command line, this would explain why it getting a decent way into the boot then stopping

/////Original command

title  GUI

kernel (cd)/boot/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce unionfs quiet

initrd (cd)/boot/miniroot.gz

////// What I changed it to

title  Helix GUI

root hd(0,3)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce unionfs quiet

initrd /boot/miniroot.gz

Any Ideas on how to take care of this.

Ok this is part of a collage class, and a personal project.

First the background I'm taking a class on network security.  The teacher asked us to make a couple bootable cd's that boot Knoppix, Backtrack2, TRK, and Helix.  He then continued to issue a challange of a bootable USB Key.  Got to thinken that it would be cool so I start with partitioning the USB key into 4 partitions all under fat 16.  Started with Knoppix and grub, then moved to Backtrack2, then TRK, Lastly Helix.  The good news is I have Knoppix, Backtrack2, and TRK booting wonderfully.  Now on to Helix.  The Helix Iso is can boot off the cd, but when I try to boot on the USB drive it starts then I get this error "can not find helix file system!"  Then drops into a shell with almost no functionality.  Now I have searched google with little findings.  And what I have found doesn't work.  I have a feeling that I just need the right grub command to get it to boot properly.  Now Helix cd uses grub to boot so I decided to use the parameters given by the cd to see if it would work.  My guess is my parameters are wrong on the command line, this would explain why it getting a decent way into the boot then stopping

/////Original command

title  GUI

kernel (cd)/boot/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce unionfs quiet

initrd (cd)/boot/miniroot.gz

////// What I changed it to

title  Helix GUI

root hd(0,3)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce unionfs quiet

initrd /boot/miniroot.gz

Any Ideas on how to take care of this.

are you sure it's hd(0, 3) and not maybe 1, 3 as far as what it think's the USB drive is?

nope the bios sees the usb stick a harddrive.  So I have to set the thumb drive as the primary boot device on the bios.  Thus the the Hd(0.*).  I say * becuase the other 3 are booting the same way, just under different partitions

and Helix is basically a forensics tool from the way it seems. 

But I'm currently looking foward to learning about it.

nope the bios sees the usb stick a harddrive.  So I have to set the thumb drive as the primary boot device on the bios.  Thus the the Hd(0.*).  I say * becuase the other 3 are booting the same way, just under different partitions

and Helix is basically a forensics tool from the way it seems. 

when it drops you to the shell can you see any of the helix files?

some additional info.  If I boot off the usb with my helix boot cd it will boot.  now the question is what is it looking for.  because aparently it can jump accross to the cd to get that info.  I know I was booting from the usb because the grub menu that appeared was the one from the usb

some additional info.  If I boot off the usb with my helix boot cd it will boot.  now the question is what is it looking for.  because aparently it can jump accross to the cd to get that info.   I know I was booting from the usb because the grub menu that appeared was the one from the usb

Maybe something in the Helix setup points to a cdrom device during installs?

some additional info.  If I boot off the usb with my helix boot cd it will boot.  now the question is what is it looking for.  because aparently it can jump accross to the cd to get that info.  I know I was booting from the usb because the grub menu that appeared was the one from the usb

Maybe something in the Helix setup points to a cdrom device during installs?

ditto is helix open?