Teching out a car?

intelspeed

I have one in my Dodge, as long as you buy a PSU which is designed for car use and can handle the fluctuations in the power your be fine. It is also worth using rubber mounts for the hard drive to help absorb any of the shock and vibration it may get.

Or you could get a simple UPS with buck-boost (voltage regulation) and plug your gear into that. It should work out the issues of currency inconsistencies.

I just want a car GPS unit. :-(

You can pick up a P2 laptop for £20 (or free) and get a GlobalSat BU-353 WaterProof USB GPS Receiver for £22. Just install Linux on it and some free mapping software and you’re good to go, for next to nothing. 

You can pick up a P2 laptop for £20 (or free) and get a GlobalSat BU-353 WaterProof USB GPS Receiver for £22. Just install Linux on it and some free mapping software and you’re good to go, for next to nothing. 

That's $80 I don't want to spend. Also that would look mighty bad sitting in my front seat.

Maybe I'll just keep dreaming about my tricked out BMW M5 :-D