NSLU2

Rocold

Yesterday I went to the mall and noticed that my Office Max was having a store closing sale. The store was pretty empty but I figured I could get some cheap printer ink or paper. Well there wasn't anything worth getting until I dug through a box of crazy glue and found a Linksys Network Storage Link (NSLU2). I guess someone hid it there and was going to come back and get it. It was marked as $99 but was 70% off. I figured I'd get it and put it on Ebay and get my money back plus more.

I looked online to see what the cheapest price I could find was and on froogle it was about $78. Did some more checking and this like most Linksys products is running Linux and has hacked firmware available for it, one being Unslug.

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/WhatP...ngTheirSlugsFor

This webpage lists what some people are doing with their NSLU2s.

I think this would be a great cheap hack to have on Hak.5, plus I want to hack my NSLU2 but would need a little help from you guys since i'm new to this.

i dont see why you cant do this yourself, have google handy, use define:X

and pay a visit to www.justlinux.com and head to the library for the basic command reference

thats if you are unexperienced in *nix as it would appear so, if so, it isnt very hard.

EDIT:

grab some sort of linux live disc, if youre ready to take the plunge: www.ubuntu.com

I am running ubuntu on a old pc. It's not that I don't know linux because i'm learning, it's the fact that their is so many different things I could do with the NSLU2 that I don't know where to start. I know I still want the backup functionality but the other stuff I was going to leave to Hak5.

I went out and bought this external HDD and got my NSLU2 setup without any hacked firmware yet. Just wanted to see what it was capable of doing.

It's pretty nice I have it set to do incremental backups of 3 folders on my computer and 1 folder on my dads computer every night. Plus I can access the files it stores over the internet.

Just an update on my NSLU2 Network Storage Link.

It has been on for 8 days and I haven't had a problem with it yet. It backs up all my files at 2am every night (or morning however you think of that). I have accessed my files over the network and stream videos and mp3s with no problem. Also accessed them over the net with no problems so far. Basicly I love my NSLU2 and I hope you go grab yourself one too.