Messaging Service

Chalito

Hey guys, I'm looking for a piece of software that will let me send out a message to everyone on my domain that isn't based on windows messenger. At my company we have is disabled by default due to it's insecurities. If you guys know of any software that does this it would be a great help. I'm looking into this in case our mail servers ever go down, we can let everyone know whats happening. Thanks in advance.

I dont think Net Send is based on MSN Messenger.

I would agree, but the messeging service would have to be enabled as most installs have it disabled by default. but that can be don in a batch file.

I think you're a lot better off with a support web-page that shows a list of outages, when they occurred, their impact and when it was fixed, or how long it will take until you know more.

Once you have that, simply educate your users to check that website before they call in asking about what the deal is. Make the automated helldesk welcome message blurt the URL to the caller so they can hang up and look there before their inquiries about the problem get in the way of you solving the problem.

WHat kind of software does your lan use? Novell, etc. Novell has a pop up alert control that can be sent to people on different legs of the lan, depending on what group is affected and who you want to notify. I am sure there are other things out ther elike this which can be sued for informational alerts only, while keeping the chat programs out of the loop. Also, does everyone carry blackberrys or pagers? We use them to page poeple during outages and it always seems easier since not everyone will be at their screen waiting for an alert.

we are using Windows Server 2003. The thing is for some reason our power tripped one of the brakers in my office and it happened to turn the mail server off. So another admin that I work with wanted to find a solution to alert everyone on the network so we aren't bothered with questions while we are trying to fix the issue. I haven't found anything on google that i'm looking for so I know this is a great place to ask for advice. I appreciate the quick responses. Hopefully I can find something, it's not urgent but the sooner the better. I just don't want to be bothered to much when we have a issue with one of our servers or something. Thanks for your help guys. Helpful as always.