Network Troubles

911alertme

My laptop is connected to my wireless network. I have internet access through my (yes I'm sure it's mine) wireless router. My problem is that I can't access any of my shared folders. When I select view workgroup computers it only sees itself. My wired computers can see it but can't access any of it's files. I've tried turning off my software firewall on the laptop and I still can't see the files. What can I do?

Make sure to have the folders set to share on your computer connected through the router. I had problems pulling off images from my parent's computer, and the only issue was marking that your computer is okay allowing its files to be pulled off of the machine.

(Windows) If you aren't... Try to access the files through explorer. It should have My Network Places. Inside that folder should be all of the shared folders in the network.

If that doesn't work, make sure the firewalls are set correctly. There's a chance that something like that is just blocking it.

I hope this helped.

type <ip address of computer> in explorer, this will also work for printers

if you have DHCP then you will have to do this every time the IP addy changes thats normally 1 day. if you have a static ip then you could use the net use command to map it :)

if you have DHCP then you will have to do this every time the IP addy changes thats normally 1 day. if you have a static ip then you could use the net use command to map it :)

if the DHCP server is any good it will never change as long as you don't change anything (reboot a few computers at the same time reboot the router things like that)

if the DHCP server is any good it will never change as long as you don't change anything (reboot a few computers at the same time reboot the router things like that)

it does happen when you take a laptop to work/cybercafe/other network and connect. then when you come home and reconnect you may get a different IP or if you don't reconnect to that network for awhile. :) depends on DHCP server scope.

Thanks a lot Sparda :D. The IP address thing worked but only when I turned off my software firewall. My Network Places still didn't work with the firewall off. Anyway if figured out what to allow through my firewall and it now works like a charm. Thanks everybody! :D