SySAdmin questions

Naicella

Hello, im currently thinking about going to ITT tech. my study would be "computer network systems" for 2 years and then "Information systems secirity". I was planning on getting this education in the Airforce but my my left eye is blind. So i had to go with plan "B" which is going to college. Now i enjoy hak.5 and all the other videocast. and i have learned alot about new network storage servers, smoothwall, and other gadgets for your home network. I got an interest in security when Kevin Mitnik was put in jail during my 9th grade year of jr. High. My friend and i did a report about him and how the judicial system was treating him badly.I guess my questions lie in the actuall job of being a sysadmin. What is it like being a system's admin? Is there usually only one sysadmin or would i work with other people. while im not computer illiterate i dont know alot about linux the shell or commands. My security knowledge is in the programs like kane & able and ethereal for winXP. Any information would be helpful on your role as a sysadmin. Thanks.

I went to ITT and SEA (Software Education of America) they're both deploma mills go for a real colledge even if its just your local community colledge after 2 years and saved lots O $$ you can transfer to big university. I learned more @ local CC. SEA out of a class of 28 about 4 of us "KNEW" what we were doing everone else was learning how to take the cert test.

yea not a huge amount for ccna in aus. My advice once you go for a job as a sysadmin don't work anywhere where microsoft is the main OS for desktop/servers. seriously the company i work for (my role really is a mix of sysadmin/network admin) is a microsoft gold partner, and i'm seriously fed up with there pathetic products. I'm probably being a bit aggressive right now, seeing how its 9:30 at night and i just installed the second daylight savings patch since I've been with the company, and well now our production dataserver/crm server is not coming back up. *Y A Y*.

In regards to your questions about the sysadmin role, well i work in a team of 4, one customer support girl (she takes all the calls) and 3 sysadmin/network admins. Most of our time is dedicated to updating prodcution websites, handling support requests and fixing server issues.

well, thats not entirely true, I have a friend that makes just a little more than 70k a year and he's MCSE and CCNA certified. It's all about who you know and how much experience you have. That has been my experience at least.

I got this number from the Cisco issued newsletter which it gave in response to a survey given to members of their certificationhs CCNA was 75G's CCNP was 80-85 (cant remember exactly) and the one and only CCIE was 116G's but if you get CCIE you deserve every penny of that.

I herd to get your CCIE certification you have to take an all day lab and it's supposed to be one hell of a test. I don't know of anyone personally who has that certification. And I know alot of people in the IT business.

To get CCIE certified you have to take one 300 dollar written test and one 1200 dollar lab test taking two full days. This does not include the transportation costs, and there are few testing sites around the world. Also, very, very few people pass it there first go around. The lab consists of them giving you a few routers telling you how they want something set up (a difficult something) and giving you 2 days to put it together. At the end of the two days you are given a thorough assessment and told if you passed or not.