IE lockout ...

DLSS

from now on i'm locking out IE from my website .

i know i wont change much but hey .... if everyone would do this it could have some effect. all visitors of IE to my website wil bounce onto this screen (yes i know its a simple and bad compilation ...) http://www.dlss.be/notallowed.html .

i do this with a simple bit of javascript

<script language="JavaScript">

<!--

if (navigator.appName == "Microsoft Internet Explorer")

window.location = "notallowed.html";

// -->

</script>

i was just wondering what u guys thought of the concept ...

i wil probably do the same with our clansite and a few other sites i own.

Maybe there is a better way of greeting the 70-80% of people who us the internet? I mean your asking them to download and install software before they can even find out if your sites worth visiting. Its a nobel idea but the vast majority of "n00bs" who visit your site aren't going to do anything more than click close. But try it, and see what the numbers are like. Personally I hate IE6 but at the end of the day you do have to design for it, because thats what most people use. Maybe have that page, but allow them to click threw it to your content? That covers people who for what ever reason cannot use Firefox.

ps. Music on web pages = BAD (imo)

Good idea executed a horrific way, it's so easy to get around that, disable JavaScript, and any one with half a brain if they are using IE they will have JavaScript disabled. It's far better to use some php but then thats not the best way either. The absaute best way is to tell the web server to disallow specific user agents.

No offence but I really don't like it when people do this.

You shouldn't be dictating what browser somebody uses, if they feel more comfortable using IE then let it be.

I tried getting my dad to use FF but he didn't like and says IE is much better for him, just let people use what they want :wink:

lol i tried 2 get my mum 2 use FF but her work didnt like me installing it on her laptop :S n shes used IE instead

Portable Firefox ^^

i think they didnt like that it was another browser at all. this is a corperate machine...doesnt even have SP 2 :S :D updating sp2 on it now haha

Maybe there is a better way of greeting the 70-80% of people who us the internet? I mean your asking them to download and install software before they can even find out if your sites worth visiting. Its a nobel idea but the vast majority of "n00bs" who visit your site aren't going to do anything more than click close. But try it, and see what the numbers are like. Personally I hate IE6 but at the end of the day you do have to design for it, because thats what most people use. Maybe have that page, but allow them to click threw it to your content? That covers people who for what ever reason cannot use Firefox.

ps. Music on web pages = BAD (imo)

well , i might make a button on the page that still gives em acces through IE ,

U say in the end of day u still havve to design for it..... well i see that as a backlash like pngs are transparant good quality and small filesize but because IE renders em wrong (no transparancy) u have to use gif's wich are terrible quality ....

i mean we have the greate tools and formats

but we have to keep using old stuff because ppls browsers wont adjust ?

i cant get it in to my head why u'd use something thats bad , broke and full of friggin holes instead of firefox exept of ppl not knowing wot risks theyre taking and that they can b free of those by getting FF wich is free.

also i designed the site with FF in my mind and looks gr8 in it.

but IE just sh*ts all over it causing it to look terrible .....

one of the pronlems is the png's as i posted before + it just seems to render it wrong ....

i'll post some screenshots of both of em

render in FF

render_in_ff_copy.png

render in IE

render_in_IE_copy.png

Design both to work perfectly in Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Opera and you won't have a problem

Like it or not, a good web page programmer will design to his/her audience, as TomB suggested. Rather than blocking someone from your site just because they use Internet Explorer, make it an article on the front page explaining why people should use something like firefox or Opera. Not to offend you, but use proper spelling and grammar -- spell check is you friend, if you don't know how to spell very well.

I think it is a good point to educate others about the flaws of IE, but to refuse access to your site is the wrong way of doing it.

If you ever want anyone to take you serious, rather than deny, you educate.

That's just my two American cents worth, but it sounds like the other who posted before me have a common agreement.

well , i might make a button on the page that still gives em acces through IE ,

U say in the end of day u still havve to design for it..... well i see that as a backlash like pngs are transparant good quality and small filesize but because IE renders em wrong (no transparancy) u have to use gif's wich are terrible quality ....

i mean we have the greate tools and formats

but we have to keep using old stuff because ppls browsers wont adjust ?

i cant get it in to my head why u'd use something thats bad , broke and full of friggin holes instead of firefox exept of ppl not knowing wot risks theyre taking and that they can b free of those by getting FF wich is free.

also i designed the site with FF in my mind and looks gr8 in it.

but IE just sh*ts all over it causing it to look terrible .....

one of the pronlems is the png's as i posted before + it just seems to render it wrong ....

i'll post some screenshots of both of em

render in FF

http://img10.picsplace.to/3/render_in_ff_copy.png

render in IE

http://img10.picsplace.to/3/render_in_IE_copy.png

True, IE renders badly. Have you considerd doing the transparency in photoshop by just using the background as a layer in the image? Fairly easy to do, and you avoid the pitfalls of IE FUBARing your design. Sometimes JPEG's are better for some graphics, you have to expriment. Grab a demo of Photoshop from adobe.com, and play with the "save for web" feature.

As for why people use IE instead of firefox, some people may not be able to install in on the machine there using (corp PC's, school PC's etc). Some people may plain just not like it. Your website has to reach the maximum audience. The most important thing to remember is that with webdesign, you are not in control of how your audience views your site. So, design for the maximum audience and all will be good. 90% of people with computers ARE NOT GEEKS.

Its a bitch, i know. The amount of times i've done a layout, spent hours tweaking it to look mint in Firefox, then opened it in IE only to be met with a POS.

Because for the range of things I use photoshop for, GIMP just doesn't cut it. I'm not saying its bad or anything like that, its just not quite as good as photoshop IMO.

(btw i'm trying to get into the photography world proffessionally, so I admit I may be playing a different ball game to most. GIMP is a perfectly viable alternative if your just looking for a feature packed image editor)

Because for the range of things I use photoshop for, GIMP just doesn't cut it. I'm not saying its bad or anything like that, its just not quite as good as photoshop IMO.

(btw i'm trying to get into the photography world proffessionally, so I admit I may be playing a different ball game to most. GIMP is a perfectly viable alternative if your just looking for a feature packed image editor)

actually the gimp has parctically all feutures of ps but they're much harder to find n use .... the gims menu's are a bitch , ps i did this site in PS 7 (ye i know lil outdated but i prefer it above the cs versions ....)

now back on topic i seewere u're going but one of the problems is that the frame they're in keeps the background fit while the images are scrolable. so if i'd put the bit of bg on the image and u'd scrol up a lil it wouldn't match the bg anymore ...

actually the gimp has parctically all feutures of ps but they're much harder to find n use .... the gims menu's are a bitch , ps i did this site in PS 7 (ye i know lil outdated but i prefer it above the cs versions ....)

Probally my issue, I've been using Photoshop since version 3 so when I come across something with is aping it, it just doesn't work for me. Plus, CS2 just works much faster on my box (This is where Intel and Hyper Threading really pay off).

Photoshop + Bridge is a killer combo, if you work with large collections of RAW images its a god send.

now back on topic i seewere u're going but one of the problems is that the frame they're in keeps the background fit while the images are scrolable. so if i'd put the bit of bg on the image and u'd scrol up a lil it wouldn't match the bg anymore ...

Had a look at your site, and i see your problem. Now from a design point of view I'd junk the static background and scroll bars, but thats just me. They piss me off. Maybe make the main column have a minimum height instead of a fixed height and tile the background image? And you could try centering the main column with something like "margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto;" in CSS. That way it fits with no scrolling in a 800x600 window (which i'm asuming you are going for due to the narrow column size).

Out of interest what are you using to make your site in? I got into web design last november and one thing i found was that the GUI WYSIWYG editors are crap for learning on. Going the Notepad2/++ route turned out to be a lot easier for some reason. Have you found the same or something different?

Probally my issue, I've been using Photoshop since version 3 so when I come across something with is aping it, it just doesn't work for me. Plus, CS2 just works much faster on my box (This is where Intel and Hyper Threading really pay off).

Photoshop + Bridge is a killer combo, if you work with large collections of RAW images its a god send.

Had a look at your site, and i see your problem. Now from a design point of view I'd junk the static background and scroll bars, but thats just me. They piss me off. Maybe make the main column have a minimum height instead of a fixed height and tile the background image? And you could try centering the main column with something like "margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto;" in CSS. That way it fits with no scrolling in a 800x600 window (which i'm asuming you are going for due to the narrow column size).

Out of interest what are you using to make your site in? I got into web design last november and one thing i found was that the GUI WYSIWYG editors are crap for learning on. Going the Notepad2/++ route turned out to be a lot easier for some reason. Have you found the same or something different?

actually yes i used notepad2 aswell :D combined with ps7 and dreamweaver.