802.11ac Module

Sandbyte

Has anyone heard any news with the 802.11ac module? Is this going to be an add on module or a completely different box. I have been contemplating purchasing the new Mark VII, but I need the 802.11ac requirement as most of the networks I work with are in the 5GHz band and only use the 2.4GHz for LBS systems. I thought about getting the Mark VII to start playing with the new setup and C2 cloud etc, but don't want to throw money at it if the 5GHz module is going to be a completely different form factor. Anyone have any thoughts? 

• 5 months later...

what does this module allow the wifi pineapple to do. Based on this post, it seems that it will allow 5ghz to work with the wifi pineapple, but the description says, 'Add dual-band 802.11ac monitor and injection capabilities to the WiFi Pineapple Mark VII with the forthcoming MK7AC module, or a compatible adapter.' is the dual band the original 2.4, + the 5ghz with the adapter. Also, will the compatible adapters do the same? If not what's the difference?

The "or" in that quote tells most of it in my interpretation of the text. You can do monitoring and injection with either of them. Most likely you will select the interface to use in some upcoming update of the firmware. If you have a Hak5 MK7AC module attached to your Mk7, you can select that. If you have a compatible USB attached "non Hak5" AC module/adapter, then you can use that. Use them for both 2.4 and 5 GHz (I guess, since both should have dual capabilities) or select an onboard radio/NIC on the Mk7 and use 2.4 GHz only (as the Mk7 comes out of the box).

I haven't seen anything of the new layouts or such of upcoming firmware, but following discussions on Discord and other information, it seems to be the way it will be done. Sounds logic to me, and is most likely the way I would like it to be. Darren's own words can also be interpreted in that direction (can be found pasted into the forum post below).

https://forums.hak5.org/topic/54836-wifi-pineapple-mk7-5ghz/?do=findComment&comment=338565

You are not restricted to the number of hardware (radios) available on the Mk7. The number of interfaces can be more than the number of radios, but the radios are of course what is the base of everything. In OpenWrt you normally have WiFi devices which represents the hardware layer, i.e. the physical radios, and then you have interfaces which are logic ("abstract") layers on top of the physical hardware (the devices).

Archived