A true disappointment...

I'm truly disappointed with the Hak 5 products, support and lack of up to date tutorials.  I just purchased the essentials kit went converted to my currency is over $500 dollars here in NZ.  I have just spent the whole weekend learning to use the Wifi pineapple and the Rubber ducky.   What I have found is that 99% of the payloads don't work, the tutorials are outdated of links are broken and the every time you encounter a problem it leads you to a solution that leads to another problem. Even trying to set up the C2 Cloud was to the exact instructions of the of the tutorials were met with unsatisfactory results.

I believe Hak 5 are completely misleading with their sales pitch and need to re-evaluate whether or not they are trading their products with a fair and reasonable expectation from the customer.  Im truly disappointed and would not recommend their products.

You know to a point I do feel your pain.  I myself have had some pains with Hak5 over the years.  But I guess the question really becomes, what did you expect, and what are you aiming for?  A $5 rpi zero can do everything the duck can do.  Does it look as good as the duck?  No.  Is it as easy to program as the duck?  Big No.  But then again why are you buying a duck if you don't at least know some programming?  The idea of the Hak5 tools were never meant to be plug in play.  I think they started going in that direction because we as humans have gotten to that point of expecting things to just work.  But a true hacker would never expect that, nor want that.  For me, I got these to mess around with and they have all worked flawlessly.  Maybe not painlessly at first.  But they all worked.  And I've learned so much from them over the years.  Because of them I've learned to make a $5 rpi act like a duck.  Or a $15 micro router act like a packet squirrel or lan turtle.  The whole point of these hak5 tools are to help you to learn.  So what would you like to learn about today?

Dude really? i have fond a few gaps in the online documentation, but have to push back real hard on the support side. I had a simple problem and got a response back in 24 hours from Daren himself. Not only that, he continued to provide support and valid links for as long as i needed him to. Granted it was a response about every 24 hours, but i really can't ask for more since it was the creator directly emailing me. My other thought is that you said "and the every time you encounter a problem it leads you to a solution that leads to another problem." and i say to you, Welcome to programming 😉

On 7/5/2020 at 4:11 PM, joepangolives said:

I'm truly disappointed with the Hak 5 products, support and lack of up to date tutorials.  I just purchased the essentials kit went converted to my currency is over $500 dollars here in NZ.  I have just spent the whole weekend learning to use the Wifi pineapple and the Rubber ducky.   What I have found is that 99% of the payloads don't work, the tutorials are outdated of links are broken and the every time you encounter a problem it leads you to a solution that leads to another problem. Even trying to set up the C2 Cloud was to the exact instructions of the of the tutorials were met with unsatisfactory results.

I believe Hak 5 are completely misleading with their sales pitch and need to re-evaluate whether or not they are trading their products with a fair and reasonable expectation from the customer.  Im truly disappointed and would not recommend their products.

The only problem with devices like the ones Hak5 sell is that you're expected to know what you're doing with them. They're aimed at professionals, yes some of the payloads and modules don't work but these aren't Hak5's remit, the Pineapple for example you bought the hardware and the firmware i.e. Pine AP & Recon Mode they work perfectly out of the box. Anything else is community developed and it's up to the developers to keep those up to date or it's up to you as a professional who knows what they're doing to get it working. 

What these products are NOT is plug and play hacking devices. There's no such thing. If there was a device that you could power up and pwn a network with it would be patched by the time it went into production / manufacturing. 

Hak5 tools are just that - TOOLS, you wouldn't buy a hammer and then get pissed because it didn't build you a house. The criteria is it's hard on the end and you can use it to hit things. 99.9% of Hak5's products do exactly that, yes Darren and the gang will show you some cool demos of payloads but these are only working at the time of the video tutorials etc. if things change in this industry (as they tend to do every minute of every hour of every day!) then they can't be expected to keep on top of that stuff with a one off product fee. They'd have to create a whole ecosystem and have some sort of reoccurring revenue to fund that kind of operation. Think about it logically from a business point of view and you'll see it's just not feasible. 

Yes some of the products don't always work quite so well with their basic features (See SD card woes and the Pineapple, IMO that should be worked on as a priority until its fixed because it's a product feature that should have been working when the product was released) but they're usually worked on and fixed shortly after release. Their base functionality is what you're buying.

How you struggled with C2 cloud I've no idea. It's the easiest thing in the world to setup, execute it with -hostname -https and -db and it's just done, if you had problems I imagine they're due to things like nat loopback and you being local to your C2 server or your linux dist has apache installed by default and its snatched port 80 (so C2 wont start). But Hak5 can't teach you the fundamentals of networking and hosting your own web service etc. that's not their job.  

TL:DR Payloads and modules are not supported, warrantied or even guaranteed implied or otherwise by Hak5. They're third party bits of code and you can't get mad at Hak5 over them.

On 7/5/2020 at 5:11 PM, joepangolives said:

every time you encounter a problem it leads you to a solution that leads to another problem

You just summarized programming in one sentence😉

btw please stop with the copy-pasting ;).

Archived