Looking for VPN Recommendations

Newbier

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It would depend on what you use VPN for. Most people are not say political dissidents who are potentially being deliberately and consistently monitored by government entities on their whereabouts, their intentions, their social life and what they are attempting to do with/against/for the government. In this case most VPNs would be out of the question due to a whole number of factors. One could be the fact that many VPN providers are not nearly as secure as they make out, they have servers in countries where the law states they HAVE to cooperate fully with government entities and law which means logs, logs, logs and unchallenged subpoenas. NordVPN is one example of a provider whose primarily based in the US (if I'm not mistaken) and so despite their reputation being so huge, they also are under the jurisdication, at least from an information security and privacy perspective of the US government. That means it's very likely they have already been compromised in terms of at least coming to an agreement on information sharing and gathering. If they haven't, they would have to assume they have in order to maintain maximum protection and privacy. Many other VPN providers are based in countries where these laws are in place. Many are not and so they are typically more feasible as a VPN solution because they have no legal obligations to a higher authority. Then again, if you look at examples in the past of websites and services in countries where these regulations and laws were not in place, a handful were also eventually compromised by the long arm of American law, namely P2P sharing sites, anonymous email providers, offshore hosting providers etc. Then you have the level of security in the software you use. A VPN is only as safe as the method of implementation it comes with. If you're using a buggy or vulnerable program to connect to a VPN, the chances are it can be manipulated and your real IP address revealed. Also, things like WebRTC which can leak your IP address even when you're connected through a VPN, DNS leaks, MITM attacks and even random disconnects whereby at least for a few moments your originating IP is out in the open. Then you have opsec and whether you ruin the protection offered by a VPN. Things like DNS over HTTPS, DNSSEC, no filters, no log DNS resolving will mean your traffic doesn't go primarily through your ISP before going to the internet. You can have amazing VPN but your DNS can leak quite easily or can be made to leak easily which makes VPN obsolete when an adversary knows what ISP you are using and a general geographic location.

Then you have the privacy policy of said VPN providers and whether they sell your personal information, browsing history, logs and more to third party companies in order to reimburse server costs and maintainence etc. I know many do this, especially the free VPN providers and so whilst you may have found a way to connect to the internet more securely you've also just backdoored your own privacy by agreeing to have your personal data sold to the highest bidder, which could be anyone, and usually is anyone as well. It's not hard to buy personal data on the internet; email addresses, phone numbers, addresses, payment details, birthday, friend lists, likes, dislikes etc. Just look on any dark net marketplace and you'll find 'fullz' for going for as little as $5 a pop and that usually contains some hundreds if not thousands of live data.

What if you pay for VPN? Payment details are often logged and even if they are not logged, it's easier for governments to obtain financial information than it is for them to freely obtain browsing history, IP addresses, websites visited, cookies, clear text passwords and other communications. All they would have to do is demand customer payment details and they have now tied you to a bank account and potentially to decades of activity. Paying with cryptocurrency is a better option but still has it's drawbacks.

Basically, you have to assume that NO company is going to take the fall and end up in court and potentially face prosecution for not handing over information about customers; be it logs, payment details etc. So that leaves you with very few options at least if you're someone who really really needs privacy and ideally anonymity. And you have to assume VPN is not a panacea for privacy and anonymity.

Then again, if you just want to connect to the internet through a VPN and don't care for all that and more you could pretty much use any VPN you like.

VPN recommendations depends on your need and requirements. 

Top 5 items to consider when you are looking for vpn:

1. Price

2. Safety

3. Servers location

4. Log files policy

5. Customer support.

All depends on why you need a vpn? To unblock sites and avoid geo restrictions, to protect your data in public wi-fi, access USA or UK content, etc.

Personally I have tried several services: Sahrzad - good for Middle East for voice calling, Aeroshield - great security. My friend in China uses vpnprivacy.services and it works fine in CHina. 

• 1 month later...

I have been using VPN for last 4 years and have tried several VPNs. Though i am currently using a little expensive VPN but i am more concerned about the speed so i had to choose it. There are many VPNs available in cheap price,  and i advice to select the VPN only according to your need. Your requirements may fulfill by any cheap VPN at times. 

I realized it is important to get a complete understanding of the VPN before going to choose any VPN provider. Our needs at times are unclear and that costs us more money. Even at times, small VPN service can fulfill our need but we don’t know about it.

Moreover, I also believe we need to be aware of all the features related to VPN, we may miss many key aspects of vpn and that stick us to limited features most of the times. Read in-depth analysis regarding VPN software here to get a sound understanding 

Always know enough about the pros and cons and other factors of a certain product and then make the decision

Archived