Issues with Pineapple

aoinoyuki

Hi guys, 

Just got the pineapple tetra last week, there are a few issues that I have encountered recently,

1. Module related 
- Module ettercap has issues where we are unable to install dependencies.
- Meterpreter is not functioning as we are unable click start or type anything into the Host and Port.
- Sslsplit is unstable as some CSS on the victim's web page are not showing up properly.
- HackRF device not found error after installing the module.
(We have already tried to do a factory reset and firmware update by following the steps provided in wifipineapple website in LINUX enviroment but its still giving us the same issues)

2. Beginner User Guide
Are there any proper WiFi pineapple lab guide or document on how to use each and every module ?

3. Unstable Internet
Once the client connects to the internet, they are unable to receive internet connection. However, on the attacker's laptop, there were no connection issues. Is there any way to resolve this?

4. Pineapple Association Enquiries
I understand that the pineapple WiFi is able to pick up probe request from devices, and the device will automatically connect to the pineapple as long as the signal strength is higher than the original AP. However, it does not seem to work for us in encrypted WiFi such as WEP/WPA/WPA2 etc but only open WiFi. I understand that not only SSID needs to match but also the encryption type in order for the victim to connect to pineapple automatically. Thus, the question is, will the device ONLY automatically connect to pineapple in an open network? 

Thank you.

5 hours ago, aoinoyuki said:

1. Module related

Yeah there are some issues running on latest firmware. Its currently a matter of sit tight and await updates, or bug find and contribute. Most (if not all) of these are community modules and not part of the Pineapple's built in offering.

2. Beginner User Guide

Hak5 had the devices pretty covered, but for the community modules you need to check out each of the developers youtube channels (not each one has one) but the ones that do have some helpful material availible.

3. Unstable Internet

Not sure whats happening, im using this function regularly without issue.  What OS are you using to share from? also some devices can check for poor connection or captive portal and jump back to data/other network, maybe this is happening?

4. Pineapple Association Enquiries

Yes, at the moment without knowing the key Open is it.  If you know the key you used to be able to do an EvilTwin with an unofficial module called NetworkingPlus , This module no longer works with the latest firmware BUT.... i heard this MAY be implemented into the firmware as a built in function in the future. Which would be great.

Hope this helps a bit.

32 minutes ago, Just_a_User said:

Not sure whats happening, im using this function regularly without issue.  What OS are you using to share from? also some devices can check for poor connection or captive portal and jump back to data/other network, maybe this is happening?

We have used iOS and Android both on 3G and above as an internet provider for the pineapple. We have not used the LAN port yet to test out the connectivity issues. May I ask what are you using to have a stable connection? 

Thanks again for the prompt reply.

29 minutes ago, aoinoyuki said:

We have not used the LAN port yet to test out the connectivity issues. May I ask what are you using to have a stable connection? 

For home/base connection I switch between using the LAN connected to router (requires some firewall tweaking) and Y lead connected between the Tetras ETH micro usb connection and my laptop running Ubuntu 17 or Kali. It depends if I need MITM position.

When mobile I either use my mobile connected to the tetras management wifi network and use a 3g USB dongle on the Tetras USB port for gateway. Or I use an OTG cable and USB share data from mobile. The issue I have with my main phone is it seems to seperate itself from the shareing network, so while shareing i cannot browse to the Pineapple GUI or use SSH. Also the Pineapple connector app does not work with my Phone.

There are many connection options with the Tetra so you always seem to have options.

Alright, I'll try out any given options for the pineapple.

Another question, since the current firmware is unstable, do you just download the previous firmware (1.1.2) and run it? Or perhaps you would need to do a factory reset or something to get the previous firmware properly installed? 

Thank you.

1 hour ago, aoinoyuki said:

Alright, I'll try out any given options for the pineapple.

Another question, since the current firmware is unstable, do you just download the previous firmware (1.1.2) and run it? Or perhaps you would need to do a factory reset or something to get the previous firmware properly installed? 

Thank you.

I don't think the new firmware is unstable, I have had it running for up to 2-3 days without issues on my tetra. I think along with new updates comes some broken modules before they are updated to work with the latest links, libs, repos etc. Kind of a chicken or egg situation.

No i haven't downgraded mine to 1.1.2, I have kinda put my own build/playing on hold while I try (I'm not very good) and help find bugs and issues (including many resets and firmware re-flashes). Sooner we get it all found the sooner it can all be fixed- big or small.

If you wanted to downgrade I guess you would download 1.1.2 firmware available under the "TETRA" section at https://wifipineapple.com/downloads, and SCP/filezilla that upgrade.bin file to your devices /tmp/ folder. Then, SSH into your TETRA and execute "sysupgrade -n -F /tmp/upgrade-1.1.2.bin".

Having not done this myself im not 100% sure of the outcome - so do at your own risk. I don't see why you should not be able to re-upgrade to 2.0.2 should things not work out though.

Archived