Home Modem Hacked

Docartergba

Hello,

i wrote a long issue about my home modem, but it post onto the site.  I recently purchased a WiFi pineapple and need help in cleaning/identifying who has taken over my internet,   I have tried several time to post the post via a desktop, but it never post.

Can someone please help.

can someone 

On 1/23/2018 at 8:44 PM, Docartergba said:

Hello,

i wrote a long issue about my home modem, but it post onto the site.  I recently purchased a WiFi pineapple and need help in cleaning/identifying who has taken over my internet,   I have tried several time to post the post via a desktop, but it never post.

Can someone please help.

can someone 

This may not help much but TCPdump can be about as verbose as it gets and p0f is a fantastic passive traffic identification  module. It can be a little overwhelming learning the signatures but it’s a start.

Edited by Spoonish

To clean up I'd recommend the following steps:

1. Check for firmware updates (if possible: download it at your friends house/at work)
  2. Factory reset modem
  3. Connect it to LAN only
  4. Update firmware (if no update: Skip 4.)
  5. Configure modem
  6. Connect to the internet again

Have you scanned your PC for any malicous software, yet?

3 hours ago, Broti said:

To clean up I'd recommend the following steps:

1. Check for firmware updates (if possible: download it at your friends house/at work)
  2. Factory reset modem
  3. Connect it to LAN only
  4. Update firmware (if no update: Skip 4.)
  5. Configure modem
  6. Connect to the internet again

Have you scanned your PC for any malicous software, yet?

I’d suggest an additional step of blacklisting everything, checking logs and whitelisting slowly what you deem safe.

SWIM offers up these extremely extraneous optional steps: wrap everything with a circut board in foil, in 50cal ammo boxes wrapped in foil, all put in your oven/microwave/farthest corner of your property. 

tip: don’t forget your car stereo with that sweet bluetooth feature.

extra tip: office max’s return policy is 14 days, so just return all boxed and pretty. They don’t check to see if it’s infected!

extra tip tip: walmarts return policy is 14 days also, but their laptop generaly don’t have bluetooth.

extra extra tip tip: desktop tower’s wireless modules are much easier to remove before your initial start up.

extra extra tip x 5: when you’re done, you’ll have a lucious collection of wireless cards/boards by the time you’re convienced everything is clear

ect.. if your modem is comcast, take it in a  get a new one easy peasy. Slowing removing tamper stickers are finicky (but a bit easier made with an old giftcard sanding into a silky smooth shovit and gingerly used in conjuction with a hairdryer) when swapping router cases before returning the maybe infected stuff....

...so sayeth the Interwebs..

Edited by Spoonish
Stupid stuff