Why am I being asked for my ID after placing an order?

breegoot

On 12/29/2017 at 2:21 AM, unverified said:

I just had the same thing happen to me. First I must say that I find some of the answers here amusing, I remember having to show an ID card when using a creditcard, I just cant remember if it was in the 1980's or 1990's.  Since then we have PIn+Chip and Mastercard securecode.

"Our order processor flagged the transaction while authorizing the payment. They need some additional information before it can be processed. That means it won't be able to ship it until some information has been verified."

So according to my bank the money was taken from my account in the same second as I pressed the order button. So the problem was not with the credit card or securing the payment. There was some other information missing or needing verification.

I was asked to e-mail a picture of a photo ID card showing my address but with any sensitive information like license ID covered.

Since highly evolved countries dont have addresses on ID cards I couldnt do that, but there was a second option. E-mailing a picture of a photo ID without the address and a picture  of the creditcard showing (perhaps they meant - only) the last 4 digits of the card.

So what information did they really want that they didnt have yet ? A photo of me for sure, a photo of a partial ID card in a foreign language, a partial credit card.
Mastercard does not have my photo. It's unlikely that the call center can read and verify the partial ID card.

They also say that the information that is e-mailed will be promptly removed once this "verification" is done.

Given that it probably takes less than 5 minutes to photoshop an ID card and a creditcard, what is it that they hope to achieve by the process ????

I sent a question to customer service about what "problem" they had found, then I canceled my order. I also sent a question about how to cancel my account with Hak5 (no point in having once since I cant order). But so far nothing useful back.

It's obviously futile to post about this problem in this forum, but perhaps someone reads this before ordering from Hak5 and decides that companies that behaves like this shouldnt get any business.

Valid feelings, but still, not like Hak5 does this on purpose to piss people off. It's the merchant billing that is requiring it, as it's been flagged, they don't have a choice really. Until the purchase can be verified, the purchase can't be done. So what do they do? They try to verify the transaction to ensure its not fraudulent. Then by chance your info was stolen, faked, etc, they are in compliance, and not responsible, when they do what is required of them. It's to cover all the bases, and everyone's ass, so that if you do need to go after someone, there is now a trail, whatever little bits there are, to go after the people.

13 hours ago, unverified said:

After 8 days I got my money back. I learned that it wasn't Hak5 or their merchant that held the money, it was a security verification system or a security program that held the funds. That made me feel much better.

Think of it as a payment gateway. Order is flagged, we verify, and they will either guarantee the order or not.

They authorize the payment (at that point, your bank earmarks it in their system, but it doesn't actually leave your account. You just can't withdraw it anymore.), and upon approval of the order, we take the money.

We can choose to ignore their advice, but we don't unless we know you. 

Cool,
so this gateway reserves the money in my bank account and tells you to "verify" by looking at a random .jpg of an ID card with sensitive details blurred out, more people should use this system.

Now I am trying to get the customer service at hapkshop to remove my account, but they dont seem to understand the remove or the account part. Is there a way to contact someone there that might understand ?

38 minutes ago, unverified said:

Cool,
so this gateway reserves the money in my bank account and tells you to "verify" by looking at a random .jpg of an ID card with sensitive details blurred out, more people should use this system.

Now I am trying to get the customer service at hapkshop to remove my account, but they dont seem to understand the remove or the account part. Is there a way to contact someone there that might understand ?

Feel free to send me a PM with details. I'm pretty sure you can close your account, but your customer details will still be retained.