Packet Squirrel praise.

biob

I would like to thank the Hak5 team for developing such a great little product that is the Packet Squirrel. I see posts with people complaining that it doesn’t do gigabit, POE etc..

An people are missing the point, you get get a lot for your $60. The packet capture facility alone is worth the price tag.

I would imagine that, to add gigabit and POE would probably triple the price, double the size and triple the power requirements.

I for one, am very impressed with the devices that Hak5 have developed. I recently managed to buy a pineapple nano(second hand) , USB ducky and a Packet squirrel. My only regret is that I can’t afford the other devices at the moment.

So come on gals and guys, let Hak5 team know the positives instead of the, why doesn’t it do this!

@biob Couldn't agree more.  I doubt anyone here would disagree.  The Hak5 team do a great job and produce great gear.  But the point of Hak5 for me is that you don't just plug and play this stuff - in fact that's what makes Hak5 special.  You start thinking of all the ways you can use and extend the devices and will always come up with the "if only" situations. 

I pre-ordered the PS because I know the Hak5 team do a great job.  I then set about using it in my initial scenarios - one of which involves PoE.

Lots of ideas came about in the posts and I eventually found a PoE solution that works for me, which I've posted in case it helps others. 

So, no, I wouldn't want the Hak5 team to think they are unappreciated, but if the posts help them come up with an even better PS in the future, in the way they came up with improved LAN Turtles, even better for all of us.  And if the improvements did triple the price and double the size, my bet is they'd still sell.

Suggestions are always great... but I have seen posts that start with why doesn’t it have this etc...As an engineer I appreciate what goes into designing a solution, but this is lost on a lot of people.

My assumption of the design brief would be... a device that most non technical people wouldn’t notice it or even question it. Low power for long term pentest at a price point that would almost make it a throw away item for a pen tester. 

After all if people want something for purely debugging then a laptop with two NIC’s would be more suitable.

this is a great little covert device.

12 minutes ago, biob said:

My assumption of the design brief would be... a device that most non technical people wouldn’t notice it or even question it. Low power for long term pentest at a price point that would almost make it a throw away item for a pen tester. 

After all if people want something for purely debugging then a laptop with two NIC’s would be more suitable.

this is a great little covert device.

A little but a very limited device sadly. That's why people would like to see Gigabit, PoE, wifi and a better processor with more ram. There are device like Orange Pi R1 which has everything except gigabit ethernet and it cost 17$ with shipping. So it is possible, it just seems that maybe the Hak5 underdevelop their products or something to then release a new one.

Fair enough.  But as well as the pentest uses it does have sys admin uses where covert doesn't matter and the PS is way easier to deploy than laptops with multiple NICs.

Horses for courses.  The Pineapple Tetra has its place, but it's not as covert as a Nano.

25 minutes ago, RazerBlade said:

A little but a very limited device sadly. That's why people would like to see Gigabit, PoE, wifi and a better processor with more ram. There are device like Orange Pi R1 which has everything except gigabit ethernet and it cost 17$ with shipping. So it is possible, it just seems that maybe the Hak5 underdevelop their products or something to then release a new one.

But the orange pi is Mass produced, only has one NIC(excluding WiFi). Would still be larger than the PS, would require modification to add your own payload selector, doesn’t come with an enclosure, doesn’t always deal with incorrect power down to well and you would have to configure all the packages yourself! The PS is a complete package with support and will most likely have a load of tutorials in the near future! 

34 minutes ago, Niceday said:

Fair enough.  But as well as the pentest uses it does have sys admin uses where covert doesn't matter and the PS is way easier to deploy than laptops with multiple NICs.

Horses for courses.  The Pineapple Tetra has its place, but it's not as covert as a Nano.

Totally agree... but I suspect Hak5’s intention was more for pen test. 

Must admit I’ve mainly used it for fault finding. Haven’t delved into the other stuff yet :-)

1 hour ago, biob said:

But the orange pi is Mass produced, only has one NIC(excluding WiFi). Would still be larger than the PS, would require modification to add your own payload selector, doesn’t come with an enclosure, doesn’t always deal with incorrect power down to well and you would have to configure all the packages yourself! The PS is a complete package with support and will most likely have a load of tutorials in the near future! 

Only one NIC?

Orange-Pi-R1-H2-256MB-Quad-Core-Cortex-A

A payload switch could easily be made, and you could make it even more advanced to use even more switches. A case maybe the hardest part to get, but if you have a 3d printer you could print one yourself. And a big part of hacking is to make things that were not supposed to be possible possible!

The footprint on the orange pi is only 29% bigger excluding a case

Archived