AOE II on Vista?

blessani

Hi,

I'm trying to play a game of AOE II with my cousin. His machine is running Vista and mine is dual booting Vista and XP MCE. Both are connected via a local LAN using a simple switch. Also, every firewall on each machine is as disabled as possible.

If I am running XP and host the game, his computer can see the game but can't connect. But if his computer hosts the game, mine cannot see it full stop. If I run Vista, neither machine can see each other (in game). But file sharing etc. is fine between both machines, its just permissions for the gaming ports are nuts.

It could be a IPv6 thing. Try disabling IPv6, and why are you running Vista?

lol good question sparda! actually i am positive you can run AOE2, AOE1, and AOM/T through wine in ubuntu since almost all openGL games run through wine its when you have directX games that you run into problems

Running Vista because its seriosuly faster than XP for almost everything.

I'm not strictcly sure on how to disable IPv6. I removed the additional network services from it for the network adaptor, but that just killed my net connection. And I stopped any associated services I could think of that were IPv6 - but still no joy.

You mean just like Ubuntu?

I'm not strictcly sure on how to disable IPv6. I removed the additional network services from it for the network adaptor, but that just killed my net connection. And I stopped any associated services I could think of that were IPv6 - but still no joy.

You should just have to uninstall the protocol from the network adapter, that should make sure it's properly disabled, if the network connection does not work after a restart, it means that Vista is broken and you should install Ubuntu.

You mean just like Ubuntu?

Nope not like Ubuntu because Vista plays games too.

Quake 4 and Doom 3 run way faster on Ubuntu then on Vista, about 50% faster.

I get your point, but its not practical for me to use nix - I use that when I really have to, and we're talking about my cousins machine here, no-one wants to use nix as their daily if they've never used it before.

If your talking about practicality... why are you using Vista? There is a reason it's not been released to the general public yet, because hardware vendors need time to dev there drivers. I mean, ye, allot of hardware has support out of the box, but what about stuff that doesn't work, are you really going to wait a month before you can use it? That's not very practical.

I bet this is a problem with DirectX 9 on Vista, and there's probably no fix for it until MS release some kind of patch to make AOE work. Are you going to wait for this patch or install Ubuntu? (Practicality nothing :P)

stick to the topic mate, i didn't say - "im looking for a new operating system - please boast about your favourite ones". i know you answered sensibly at the start, but dont deter (cos it just adds to the endless crap most forums are full of nowadays).

im not going to discuss the practicality of vista, my cousin likes it, and it works for him, i was just seeing if anyone knew a workaround for aoe II, obviously not.

stick to the topic mate, i didn't say - "im looking for a new operating system - please boast about your favourite ones". i know you answered sensibly at the start, but dont deter (cos it just adds to the endless crap most forums are full of nowadays).

im not going to discuss the practicality of vista, my cousin likes it, and it works for him, i was just seeing if anyone knew a workaround for aoe II, obviously not.

Hah first off you never directly said that i want the game to work for vista you said you wanted it to work if you wish to have that attitude then you clearly don't deserve to use Linux and i suggest you slum around m$ fan boy forums for you're answer to this question :pirate: