Your thoughs on fixing a damanged DVD

Sparda

Recently I found the need to access a old pressed DVD, it how ever has two rather minor scratches on it, these scratches are visiable directly form above, so they are clearly the problem when i can't access it. My theory is that if i heat the under side of the disk where the two scratches are gently, then hub them getly, the plastic should reset into it';s origional flat state, or at last flat enough for the DVD drive to read the intackt track. Does any one agree/disagrre or have any other ideas?

I wouldnt be convinced, error correction on a CD/DVD can usually handle most scratches, but theres obviously been some data removedotherwise you'd be able to use it... plus, you'd melt the plastic membrane on the outside of the CD first... AND it will be weigter wrong and make a horrible noise in you player.

however, ive only really dabbnled in CD stuff.. so somone please correct me :)

Why wouldn't you have the DVD polished? There are a lot of places that repair scratches on CDs and DVDs using commercial polishers for a small fee. The whole blowtorch thing sounds pretty freakish. :wink:

Is the DVD scratched on the top (label) side, or the bottom (clear) side?

Grab some brillo or whatever that polishing compound was that they used to get scratches off an IPod. Same principle, really. If that doesn't work you could always reconsider heating.

*cough* parden my language *cough*

OMFG!!!!!!!!!1111!!onehundreadandeleven11!!!!! (I warned you)

My crazy idea with the heating of the disk and hubbing it fucking worked xD

This has to be one of the most crack pot bodges i'v ever done, and it fucking worked xD!!!!

cs_office0009.jpg

that is some good pwn4g3 y00 g07 there

What's that got to do with the price of fish?("the price of fish" is a metaphor for the current subject for anyone who can't figure it out)

Back on subject though. I've heard that you can fix a scratched CD by rubbing toothpaste across(not around) it. Just something I heard... don't know if it really works(don't exactly see how it could either). Don't jump to the conclusion that I believe it or not!