5ghz WiFi bands?

Onus

Recently I was playing with the ALFA USB WIFI AWUS036NEH using airodump-ng and I noticed its not seeing a 5ghz WiFi network that both my computer and phone see as an available network.. I went ahead and added the option -C 2000-6000 and still no 5ghz AP showing up.. If I limit it to -C 5000-6000 I get an error "no such channel" or something like that.. Does the ALFA USB WIFI AWUS036NEH not support this band?

Don't blindly assume having a loud card makes it a good card. Sometimes a less loud one can manage to get heard better by the intended target by having a sleaner signal.

I don't believe louder is always better in the same way 2 is always more than 1. That's my point. Is your goal to be heared, or to prevent the AP from hearing the other guy (without being able of identifying your signal either)? Being loud and remote achieves both.

The -c command is which channel to sniff on in aircrack(not sure what you were shooting for 2000+3000?), and as far as I know, 802.11N and AC in 5ghz only runs in 7 through 196 channels.

I recall a thread about someone who said it could be done on 5ghz and use aircrack to sniff 5ghz as well, but requires recompiled kernel switches for it and possibly driver changes, but don't quote me on that. If you were trying to change the frequency, I beleive it's done with the --bands command, but by default should see all of them since 802.11A runs in 5ghz just like N does.

I get that, but it certainly helps to have a little more tx power when one can't be as close to the target as one would like, no?

I agree with Cooper on this, when I unlocked the crda to unlock the NHA from GB (20dbm) I initially tested 30dbm (in controlled environment) for a bit, then changed to US to be legal about it and use 27dbm... I found that 27dbm actually does seem to work even better! :smile: (and much better than the silly Great Britain locked down 20dbm) So I certainly see what Cooper is saying. Upping to 30dbm might help you catch that really far network and be able to communicate with it, but networks that are closer and don't need that high level of transmission will get clouded out by it and it will only hinder you rather than help you! Plus keep it legal, use the proper levels for your country!

Just remember louder isn't always better, because "The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear" :happy: