Pi, Pi and more Pi

DakotaStorm

In my experience the screen is just a set of pixels and a ribbon cable via which you can address those pixels so you can set the appropriate ones to the appropriate color. The chip that does the actual legwork lies on the other side of that ribbon cable (meaning: soldered to the iPhone board rather than the screen) and I'm guessing that the chip present on the Pi can't talk the language that makes the screen work its magic. Chances are the ribbon cable won't even fit.

Basically, if you have a spare iPhone screen it's worth a shot, but if you're thinking of opening up your iPhone to see if this works, expect to end up with a broken iPhone and a non-working combination.

@i8igmac: Note that he mentioned 'wearable'. He wants a visual while on the go. A VNC session doesn't fit this bill very well.

Edited by cooper

Bling bling... I got kali metasploit aircrack mitm on my rist watch

2ixMwSk.jpg

Should start selling that patient right away while their is a high demand!

I thought of this. Here's some catches:

Let's say you rip out a screen from.. I dunno... an old kindle fire. There's a small bundle of wires and a connector that fits onto the board. That wiring schematic for the screen is important... so you'll want to know what wire does what, i.e. red/white wire is red colors, green/white is green colors, green wire is ground, black wire is positive, white/brown might be data of some sort. There's going to be quite a few. And good luck finding a wiring schematic for some of these devices.

You might need an external power source. You MIGHT be able to power it off of USB. The wiring schematic should have power requirements.

Then you'll have to translate each of these wires to the RPi monitor cable equivalent. Some of the wires may or may not match up. Hack around a while... trial and error... If you got all this to work so far, then great. If not, then you might need an additional controller board.

Disclaimer: This is all speculation. I haven't tried this. I wouldn't mind trying it... I'd love to use an old dead laptop screen as an in-wall bathroom netflix device.

All this aside, buying the screen would be easier, but not as fun.

I thought of this. Here's some catches:

Let's say you rip out a screen from.. I dunno... an old kindle fire. There's a small bundle of wires and a connector that fits onto the board. That wiring schematic for the screen is important... so you'll want to know what wire does what, i.e. red/white wire is red colors, green/white is green colors, green wire is ground, black wire is positive, white/brown might be data of some sort. There's going to be quite a few. And good luck finding a wiring schematic for some of these devices.

You might need an external power source. You MIGHT be able to power it off of USB. The wiring schematic should have power requirements.

Then you'll have to translate each of these wires to the RPi monitor cable equivalent. Some of the wires may or may not match up. Hack around a while... trial and error... If you got all this to work so far, then great. If not, then you might need an additional controller board.

Disclaimer: This is all speculation. I haven't tried this. I wouldn't mind trying it... I'd love to use an old dead laptop screen as an in-wall bathroom netflix device.

All this aside, buying the screen would be easier, but not as fun.

Nope. They're not wired like that at all.

See the connector below the KC1 labled memory chip? That's the screen connector. It would need an adapter, they're not cheap.

sfRk1gF1auJR1xxB.jpg

Nope. They're not wired like that at all.

See the connector below the KC1 labled memory chip? That's the screen connector. It would need an adapter, they're not cheap.

sfRk1gF1auJR1xxB.jpg

Guess I was just thinking laptop screens. It would make sense that all tablets and phones use ribbons.