802.11ac weatherproof WAP?

BlueWyvern

So I've been digging and digging and feel I don't have enough experience with the weatherproof stuff so I'm hoping someone here can help.

I'm trying to mount an access point in the back of the house for the back yard area of the house. attempts to use wireless extenders have all ended in failure.

I can't find any 802.11ac WAPs that claim to be weatherproof and so would like some input if anyone knows of one (or two) or if anyone knows how I could make one weatherproof.

Thanks!

Aside from the useful replies which I'm sure you'll get (aims the Barry searchlight at the dark, cloudy sky) maybe you could elaborate on what you tried so far and why those things failed. Give us some idea of what we're up against because weather here might not be the type of weather you're experiencing.

Heh, that's funny Cooper!

AC and Outdoor is expensive! http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-UAP-AC-Outdoor-Enterprise/dp/B00FBGAWTW/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1439732822&sr=1-6&keywords=unifi+ap+ac

We've put up a few of these and so far they're freaking bulletproof, but it will cost ya. Does it have to be AC? The regular N version is much cheaper. http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-UniFI-Outdoor-Access-802-11bgn/dp/B0066DV06I/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1439733454&sr=1-3&keywords=unifi+ap+outdoor So far we've not had any issues with Ubiquiti equipment, we've used the indoor ap devices in 20 or 30 client sites and the outdoor products in at least 20 sites. They're super east to set up, though the latest controller application is a dhcp server, so watch out for that... I keep telling people wireless extenders are crap and to stay away from them unless you just don't have any other choice.

Edited by barry99705

CBhNPPH.jpg

I use something like this to waterproof my wireless USB in SMA out. 2" PVC with some end caps. I put a twist on cap on one side so I could access the device and put some teflon tape. Pretty much just like you would to seal a pipe.

What I used:

PVC primer and cement, silicone sealer, PVC pipe and fittings, about 30' of 550 cord, a side release buckle, a cheap carabiner (Not for climbing or heavy load bearing), teflon tape, an SMA 200 cable, a USB extension cord.

I put the cord and clips on there then I realized all of the cord are kind a cluster so I will probably redesign it so the cord roll around the container and put some velco straps to hold them in place when not in use and maybe a MALICE clip so it can mount to the MOLLE system on the outside of my pack.

Here's the thing with an outside AP. You don't put the AP outside you can just drill a hole and run the antenna wire outside and mount the antenna. That is probably cheaper than buying an outdoor AP. Or just build a waterproof enclosure for it. If you need cooling just fill the thing up with mineral oil and run some copper rods out of it for heat convection.

I mean like unless you really need to install something that makes you look pro.

UBNT probably sell a weatherproof AP that will do ac at a fair price, if not get a Peli case and mod an AP for PoE or get a splitter from tp-link and just drill a single hole in the base and fill will silicone sealant, once the cable is through.

Edited by metatron

CBhNPPH.jpg

I use something like this to waterproof my wireless USB in SMA out. 2" PVC with some end caps. I put a twist on cap on one side so I could access the device and put some teflon tape. Pretty much just like you would to seal a pipe.

What I used:

PVC primer and cement, silicone sealer, PVC pipe and fittings, about 30' of 550 cord, a side release buckle, a cheap carabiner (Not for climbing or heavy load bearing), teflon tape, an SMA 200 cable, a USB extension cord.

I put the cord and clips on there then I realized all of the cord are kind a cluster so I will probably redesign it so the cord roll around the container and put some velco straps to hold them in place when not in use and maybe a MALICE clip so it can mount to the MOLLE system on the outside of my pack.

Here's the thing with an outside AP. You don't put the AP outside you can just drill a hole and run the antenna wire outside and mount the antenna. That is probably cheaper than buying an outdoor AP. Or just build a waterproof enclosure for it. If you need cooling just fill the thing up with mineral oil and run some copper rods out of it for heat convection.

I mean like unless you really need to install something that makes you look pro.

You have to be careful with electronics and mineral oil. I've seen the oil degrade capacitors on immersed computer motherboards. The problem with external antennas for an AC access point is it's not just one or two antennas. There's usually 4 to 6 antennas in the box.

UBNT probably sell a weatherproof AP that will do ac at a fair price, if not get a Peli case and mod an AP for PoE or get a splitter from tp-link and just drill a single hole in the base and fill will silicone sealant, once the cable is through.

The AP's I linked to are Ubiquiti access points.

Pelican cases are way overkill, just get a normal NMEA box. http://www.fab-corp.com/product.php?productid=16378&cat=278&page=1

Edited by barry99705

If you didn't want to go with Pelican you could also just get something like a DeWalt toolbox from Home Depot and waterproof it. Pretty much any cheap powertool box like a box from an impact driver would probably work for this. But by the time you go ahead and waterproof the case and mod it you might as well just buy the pelican case. This 1300 starts at $49.50 http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1300 That's really not to bad.

I don't know if I would spend the money on a ubiquity antenna. But if you have it and you need the tax write off. They are everywhere. You just pull the guts out of the center of the dish and put your wifi antenna in there. That's a pretty good directional antenna. There are some pretty good 24dbi antennas you can get for about $49. And some boosters.

I don't think I would spend $1100 when I can build it for $200-400. But if you have more money than time or if someone else is paying for it then go with the expensive goods. If you just need it to work and security isn't a major concern you can just get an old router for $5 at a thrift store then through it in a 5 gallon bucket and run an extension cord, SMA, and ethernet out of it. So really you could do it for like $100 if you wanted to go really MacGyver.

Awesome replies all! Thanks for the wealth of information. Personally I'd like to go for the ubiquti, though that cost is up there. I definitely want to go with ac since all the devices on my network short of two amazon fire tv sticks are ac. As far as weather, Ohio on the lake so the usual snow until April, Sun and crazy rain until November then snow again in bulk.