Gather IP

prasmax

Most instant messaging runs through a server so you usually need to intiate a file transfer to determine their IP address.

E-mail depends on what serving software is used so is unreliable again.

this is true for msn if a transfer is initiated you can run netstat and and with a bit of knowledge should be able to find out their ip.

well I have sucessfuly done this with MSN Messenger, you just need to have a direct connection, obtain this be sending a big file, audio or webcam.

so for E.G. you play the guitar, recorded your self, send a 10MB file of your self playing to your mate, theses a DC

now you have a DC, use a program to scan what IP's your connected to, say earthereel for example .. single out which one is theirs .. prob solved.

*NOTE: it is not illegal to do this, as long as the file your sending is NOT copywrighted, or you own a license to distrbute the file*

Yeah, you can also netstat before the transfer, click the button to send the file, wait a few seconds then netstat again... then all you gotta do is play spot the difference...

also it's a good idea to do a nslookup of the ip address to see where it resolves to and a tracert (not required) and you can then confirm that it is the person you are chatting to if you have a idea where they live or what isp since it will resolve to it or the final tracert will

When chatting up someone using any messaging apps, not in a forum, but on one to one basis, if u run a sniffer, you will immediately get the other person's IP.

....actually that's not even close to being true

I used a program called IPMaster Pro. Check it out for yourself :D i still stand by what i said: when messaging on a one to one basis - directly, sniffing the connection reveals the other person's IP :wink:

not to mention just asking them to go to IP chicken and get them to send you the meaningless number IP chicken gave them. Although, this method can some times back fire (fighting fire with fire is always good). If some one knows what you are trying to do, they could just send you a Microsoft server IP for example.

Most instant messaging runs through a server so you usually need to intiate a file transfer to determine their IP address.

the icq server semes to give others your ip for direct connection purposes. you can get it i.e. via "User Details" in the Miranda-IM client.

When chatting up someone using any messaging apps, not in a forum, but on one to one basis, if u run a sniffer, you will immediately get the other person's IP.

I used a program called IPMaster Pro. Check it out for yourself :D i still stand by what i said: when messaging on a one to one basis - directly, sniffing the connection reveals the other person's IP :wink:

Thats not what you said you said

there's nothing in there about one to one, and in the context you add it seemed like you said just firing up a sniffer will tell you the IP but you need to know ehere to look and what IP are not the one's your are looking for... Just to let you know.

Thats not what you said you said

there's nothing in there about one to one, and in the context you add it seemed like you said just firing up a sniffer will tell you the IP but you need to know ehere to look and what IP are not the one's your are looking for... Just to let you know.

That's what i said and that's what you said and this is me saying it again :D , now if you could pay attention or read my lips, LOL. If you run a sniffer using any messaging software, when chatting up someone on a one to one basis, running the sniffer will reveal the other persons IP. The sniffer i tested with is called IPMaster Pro. You can use any other sniffer of your choice.

Of course it would require you to know where to look, it will require you to recognise an ip, know wut it is, how it looks like. The very fact that you are firing up a sniffer and trying to sniff a connection, denotes that you do know what you are looking for.

If you are able to commutate with someone online (email, instant messaging), which way is the best to find out their IP? Is there another way of gathering an ip?

thanx~

On the old version of outlook whenever someone sent u a email it would show there ip sooo uhm google it k :roll: