hacking

mrcool221

this wont teach u code but will explain some stuff , give some background ,resources ,history (i love the virus history part) of phreaking / hacking etc ...

this is one of the books that got me more interested in computers and i have 2 dutch prints of the soft cover .... (1st print and 3rd reprint)

the 1st came with a disk including some good free progs back then (even a proggy listing a lot of trojans wot ports they use and wot they do ... , and some text files)

Steal This Computer Book 3

What They Won't Tell You About the Internet

by wallace wang

No Starch Press

*here's a chm (ebook) of the book but do get the printed version*

it's alway's good to read the hackers manifesto as well and to follow hacking using it's first definitation as:

1. A person who enjoys exploring the details of programmable systems and how to stretch their capabilities, as opposed to most users, who prefer to learn only the minimum necessary. RFC1392, the Internet Users' Glossary, usefully amplifies this as: A person who delights in having an intimate understanding of the internal workings of a system, computers and computer networks in particular.

2. One who programs enthusiastically (even obsessively) or who enjoys programming rather than just theorizing about programming.

3. A person capable of appreciating hack value.

4. A person who is good at programming quickly.

5. An expert at a particular program, or one who frequently does work using it or on it; as in "a Unix hacker". (Definitions 1 through 5 are correlated, and people who fit them congregate.)

6. An expert or enthusiast of any kind. One might be an astronomy hacker, for example.

7. One who enjoys the intellectual challenge of creatively overcoming or circumventing limitations.

8. [deprecated] A malicious meddler who tries to discover sensitive information by poking around. Hence password hacker, network hacker. The correct term for this sense is cracker.

and not to be misguided

i recommend reading how to own the network and how to own the continent

if you are into social engineering Kevin Mitnick's two books (art of deception and art of intrusion) are very good and interesting. also most books from syngress are very good

yes read read read thats the key. the "hacking exposed" series might interest you and they also come with nice little dvd's to. also if you are interested in hacking learning a little programming is also going to be good for you. and forums like these are aloso a great place to ask questions. also you might want to setup your own little home network and practice there, its great to expiriment on your own stuff because you can see whats going on from both ends. and another book i would recomend is The pyscology of persuasion: How to persuade others to your way of thinking. its a must have for any great social engineer. oh and read some books on tcp/ip

yes read read read thats the key. the "hacking exposed" series might interest you and they also come with nice little dvd's to. also if you are interested in hacking learning a little programming is also going to be good for you. and forums like these are aloso a great place to ask questions. also you might want to setup your own little home network and practice there, its great to expiriment on your own stuff because you can see whats going on from both ends. and another book i would recomend is The pyscology of persuasion: How to persuade others to your way of thinking. its a must have for any great social engineer. oh and read some books on tcp/ip

this is pretty to to be a true "hacker" you must have a extensive knowledge of technology and people. program language knowledge is a must aswell as a knowledge of protocols and other technologies.

imho, hacking involves more of social engineering than actual techie stuff like breaking in and owning a box.

You might checkout Kevn Mitnick's Art of Deception.

Of course you gotta have tech skill, but more often than not, you could do wonders with social engineering while it would take longer to do the same technically, imho.

The movie "Hackers" is a great start.

Ok, stop flaming, that was a joke.

Really though, read a book on C/C++, learn UNIX, and read some RFCs for protocol info. Also, there are great links in the stickys. A live linux distro is a great way to start if you don't want to install, but want to learn. A word of warning, dont start with Knopix-STD, its better to have some understanding of linux first.

I had this really nifty little book on the POSIX.1 standard. Paperback format and about 1 cm thick that managed to cover all the functions POSIX.1 says the c library (and by extension, the OS) must provide in what way to be compliant.

Dispite its small size this book was a treasure trove to me, not in the least because pretty much *ALL* OSes are (and in the case of Windows "can become" with the help of just one Cygwin DLL) POSIX.1 compliant.

I really got a kick out of making a complex program that would compile and run (and run well even) on a large variety of OSes without a single code change, and without any #ifdefs in the code.

And the must-have book for any wannabe C programmer has to be Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment (Addison-Wesley, 1992) by the sadly departed W. Richard Stevens. Covers pretty much everything, plus it tells you which alternative functions exist, even including a small table that specifies which OS supports which extension. Somewhat dated with regards to which OS supports what, but other than that this is another excellent reference, and even a pretty pleasant read.