Apache Setup?

level42

I thought PHP 5 and Apache 2 are not friendly yet. Maybe they fixed that.

That's the first I've heard of that. I did a quick Google search and found something about PHP5 and Apache2 running with a threaded MPM.

http://us3.php.net/manual/en/faq.installat...llation.apache2

1. Why shouldn't I use Apache2 with a threaded MPM in a production environment?

PHP is glue. It is the glue used to build cool web applications by sticking dozens of 3rd-party libraries together and making it all appear as one coherent entity through an intuitive and easy to learn language interface. The flexibility and power of PHP relies on the stability and robustness of the underlying platform. It needs a working OS, a working web server and working 3rd-party libraries to glue together. When any of these stop working PHP needs ways to identify the problems and fix them quickly. When you make the underlying framework more complex by not having completely separate execution threads, completely separate memory segments and a strong sandbox for each request to play in, feet of clay are introduced into PHP's system.

If you feel you have to use a threaded MPM, look at a FastCGI configuration where PHP is running in its own memory space.

And finally, this warning against using a threaded MPM is not as strong for Windows systems because most libraries on that platform tend to be threadsafe.

And just what does threaded MPM mean, you ask (I'm assuming you're asking because I had to look it up).

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mpm.html

This document describes what a Multi-Processing Module is and how they are used by the Apache HTTP Server.

<snip>

The server can be better customized for the needs of the particular site. For example, sites that need a great deal of scalability can choose to use a threaded MPM like worker, while sites requiring stability or compatibility with older software can use a prefork. In addition, special features like serving different hosts under different userids (perchild) can be provided.

A bit off-topic, I know, but maybe someone will learn something from reading it.

Thanks alot guys ...

Listen, i just setup windows Server 2003 and i did setup HTTP Apache .... BUT! the main reason i posted/asked this was because i got some strange error when running it. Plus i need to know like how to access it and stuff im a complete n00b at this :oops:

Listen, i just setup windows Server 2003 and i did setup HTTP Apache .... BUT! the main reason i posted/asked this was because i got some strange error when running it. Plus i need to know like how to access it and stuff im a complete n00b at this :oops:

Okay, excuse the flamage here as it's more in general than specific to you, but I have to vent for a bit.

You're getting an error, yes?

So why not include it in your post? I mean, hey, there's the remote possibility the error alone will allow someone who knows the program in question to give you very specific instructions on what's wrong. Hell, that person might even end up fixing your problem.

But no, because that would be too easy, wouldn't it? Instead, you post a vague question about where you can find Apache Documentation. Put those 2 words in Google and guess what? The top 2 entries are for Apache server documentation (the first for the v1 server and the second for the v2 server). Is it really that hard for you to enter something in a search engine? Harder than posting this question here?

And now you claim you also need our help to access it. Hrmm.. Gee. How does one access a webserver these days? The Big Blue E? The Big Green N? The Big Red O? The Globe With The Little Fox Around It? The Light And Dark Blue Circle With The Little Dove In It?

Be specific. Be concise. Be to the point. BE DIRECT.

And for fuck's sake, make at least some effort at researching your problem before wasting our time.

all i can say is RTFM

If your not going to read the manual that comes with it why would you read a tutorial that someone writes :?

I have no problem with RTFQS that's because manuals can be huge and hard to understand for some people QuickStarts are another story if you don't understand the manual thats fine, I learn more from playing around then reading a manual and use that as a last step. however if there's a quickstart(noob guide) and you don't understand that then you shouldn't using that piece quite yet.

Okay, excuse the flamage here as it's more in general than specific to you, but I have to vent for a bit.

You're getting an error, yes?

So why not include it in your post? I mean, hey, there's the remote possibility the error alone will allow someone who knows the program in question to give you very specific instructions on what's wrong. Hell, that person might even end up fixing your problem.

But no, because that would be too easy, wouldn't it? Instead, you post a vague question about where you can find Apache Documentation. Put those 2 words in Google and guess what? The top 2 entries are for Apache server documentation (the first for the v1 server and the second for the v2 server). Is it really that hard for you to enter something in a search engine? Harder than posting this question here?

And now you claim you also need our help to access it. Hrmm.. Gee. How does one access a webserver these days? The Big Blue E? The Big Green N? The Big Red O? The Globe With The Little Fox Around It? The Light And Dark Blue Circle With The Little Dove In It?

Be specific. Be concise. Be to the point. BE DIRECT.

And for fuck's sake, make at least some effort at researching your problem before wasting our time.

Listen, I appologize for not posting the error in that message, I was in the middle of writing one of my midterms and it was written in a hurry.

Plus, I didnt have access to the server pc so I had no idea what the error was, Anywas this is the error!

&lt;os 10048&gt; Only one usage of each socket address &lt;protocol/network address/port&gt; is normally permitted.  : make_sock could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80 no listening sockets available, shutting down 

Unable to open logs 

Note the errors or messages, above, and press the &lt;esc&gt; key to exit.

I'm going to guess at this, since I've never installed Apache on Windows without using the XAMPP package.

You might try looking through your config files for a line that starts with Listen, BindAddress, or NameVirtualHost.

I also did a Google search for you and found a lot of hits using your error message.

Here's the link:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=m...G=Google+Search

thats sounds like something else is listening on port 80 windows right? close skype... then http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ng/TcpView.mspx

I don't remember sysinternals being prt of Microsoft is this new.

Yeah, Mark Russinovich is a Microsoft employee now, and as such his tools are Microsoft's now as well. Mark has been very adamant about continuing the development of his tools and keeping them free.

I can only see good things come out of Mark's new job at MS.