internal memory capacity

cheeto

Hey guys,

I tried to copy a couple of folders into the internal storage. (3mb or so) and I got an error in the middle of the process saying that the disc is full.

Could that be right?

Is there anything that i can do to free up more space?

All my infusions are in the SD.

thanks

Here are my resources:

Current Disk Usage:

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs 3.2M 2.1M 1.1M 66% /
/dev/root 11.8M 11.8M 0 100% /rom
tmpfs 30.2M 132.0K 30.1M 0% /tmp
tmpfs 512.0K 0 512.0K 0% /dev
/dev/mtdblock3 3.2M 2.1M 1.1M 66% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay 3.2M 2.1M 1.1M 66% /
/dev/sdcard/sd1 13.8G 343.3M 12.8G 3% /sd

Current Memory Usage:

total used free shared buffers
Mem: 61804 53732 8072 0 6964
-/+ buffers: 46768 15036
Swap: 1004024 0 1004024

Drop Caches

Drop Page Cache - only use if you know what you are doing.

that's really limited.

When performing firmware updates, i can assume that the old firmware's files are completely deleted. right?

is there anything that can be deleted? (temp files) I won't delete anything unless i'm 100% sure that it can be deleted.

Cheers

When new firmware is installed anything that is not needed is probably deleted (at least it should be). I wouldn't go poking around the Pineapple and deleting things just to free up space. Instead why not get a bigger sd card? There is no reason to store anything internally as everything on the Pineapple can be done just the same while using an sd card.

Good point regarding the Karma log. I think it was set to tmp. I just now changed it to SD.

Now i just re-flashed my mkv.

I took a screen shot of the RESOURCES before and after. It's hard to determine how much free space i have internally.

BEFORE:

before.jpg

After:

after.jpg

Edited by cheeto

The internal memory is low by default, and wouldn't recommend installing much to it. It is recommended to use an sd card instead of the internal.

If something you are doing is needing a structure on the internal memory, you can always look into symlinking the folders.

and that is with the

ln -s command, id recommended reading up on that.

But do keep in mind, everything is ran as a root user on the pineapple.

The internal memory is low by default, and wouldn't recommend installing much to it. It is recommended to use an sd card instead of the internal.

If something you are doing is needing a structure on the internal memory, you can always look into symlinking the folders.

and that is with the

ln -s command, id recommended reading up on that.

But do keep in mind, everything is ran as a root user on the pineapple.

I'm glad you brought that up. That's what I've done on my Pineapple. The only thing that sucks about a firmware update is having to recreate all of my symlinks, lol. I should just write a script for it and keep it on the sd card.

on this topic, has anyone figured out how to get pip installed onto SD card, and default your site-packages to the SD card, I was able to do it after several frustrating days, only to find out the pip package i wanted to install (pysnmp) would not install (I guess pyasn1 doesnt like mips?) and then after reflashing firmware, I completely forgot how I was able to install pip... so now I just have to use the python builtins or distutils, but with such low onboard storage, cant really do much until i figure out how to move my python site-packages to the SD... I loathe installing python environments

That's what I've been trying to do, not so much for pip, but python dependencies. It is rather difficult and opkg doesn't have some of the tools I need. Most of them aren't supported on the Pineapple anyway as they are developed for larger OSes. If you can get pip installed I would like to know how you did it so I can try to install ghost or phantomJS. Even with the sd card some python libraries are just too large and probably won't do so well, performance wise, on the Pineapple.

I was able to get pip instaled, but it was a pain, and i even got pip + a virtual env installed onto my sdcard, but after reflashing the firmware, the virtual env on the sd card broke...

as for installing pip, I first used ez-setup.py to install setuptools , then i used get-pip.py with prefix=/sd/python.... or it might have been dest=/sd/python. I had to do this on a fresh pineapple to avoid running out of space, and also I believe i had to manually create a couple directories inside of /sd/python/.../site-packages, which the pip install told me the paths were not there or had improper permissions, so i just manually created them and then it worked. Also, I had a partition on the sd for swap space, not sure if that helped or not, but figured i would mention it.

After this, I was able to use virtualenv.py /sd/python/env to create a virtual env with pip at /sd/python/env.

this did work great, but after a firmware flash i had essentially a virtualenv which i could use with absolute paths, but could not activate and use.

I havent gotten back around to setting it up again, because of the fear of losing my working autossh ... (my relay is a windows machine, and i have to use a separate ssh server and client, so its always a pain getting my keys right, using bitvise ssh server, and openssh from cygwin as a client (couldnt get the cygwin provided ssh server to work))

Let me know if you have any success with this method please.

Darren, Seb, I would really love to see a opkg python-pip for the pineapple that makes it easy to get pip installed onto the sd card, or even a way to easily move python onto the sd card entirely

I tried using symlinks but it was pretty much a total disaster, not sure why, most likely because im a complete n00b....

I was able to get pip instaled, but it was a pain, and i even got pip + a virtual env installed onto my sdcard, but after reflashing the firmware, the virtual env on the sd card broke...

as for installing pip, I first used ez-setup.py to install setuptools , then i used get-pip.py with prefix=/sd/python.... or it might have been dest=/sd/python. I had to do this on a fresh pineapple to avoid running out of space, and also I believe i had to manually create a couple directories inside of /sd/python/.../site-packages, which the pip install told me the paths were not there or had improper permissions, so i just manually created them and then it worked. Also, I had a partition on the sd for swap space, not sure if that helped or not, but figured i would mention it.

After this, I was able to use virtualenv.py /sd/python/env to create a virtual env with pip at /sd/python/env.

this did work great, but after a firmware flash i had essentially a virtualenv which i could use with absolute paths, but could not activate and use.

I havent gotten back around to setting it up again, because of the fear of losing my working autossh ... (my relay is a windows machine, and i have to use a separate ssh server and client, so its always a pain getting my keys right, using bitvise ssh server, and openssh from cygwin as a client (couldnt get the cygwin provided ssh server to work))

Let me know if you have any success with this method please.

Darren, Seb, I would really love to see a opkg python-pip for the pineapple that makes it easy to get pip installed onto the sd card, or even a way to easily move python onto the sd card entirely

I tried using symlinks but it was pretty much a total disaster, not sure why, most likely because im a complete n00b....

I'm glad you were able to get it working but this is still too messy to work for installing dependencies for an infusion. I will have to pass on it for now. Are you able to install packages from pip like PhantomJS? Or are they just too large for the Pineapple?