masscan advice

Newbier

I have taken to given scanning the whole internet a scan for devices like Shodan to look for devices online all for the sake of curiosity, now one of my biggest problems I got is that when I scan none of my other devices I got at home can connect to the internet, because I do understand the search can be quite intense on your network and I thought some one here could recommend settings that wont be so detrimental on network but quietly run in background. Im using a netbook at the moment and I also got a raspberry pi and and a couple of routers with dd-wrt if that info helps the search terms I use is as follows:

masscan 0.0.0.0/0 -p80,21,22,23,25,110,143,443,3389,U:161 --banners --rate150000 oB global-home.scan --exclude 224.0.0.0/

Edited by fernandoblazin

• 2 weeks later...

Read your ISP contract, its not legit to do so and they will blackhole your traffic... They have automated way of doing that.

I understand that did the research but here in africa there no blockades everything goes and it doesnt answer my question i actually did do attempt it and got up to 32 percent completed but aborted cause my wife could not use internet at the same time.

Edited by fernandoblazin

I'm guessing you filled up your routers max sessions. Witch is sort of a DOS on your own router system.

Transmit rate (IMPORTANT!!)

This program spews out packets very fast. On Windows, or from VMs, it can do 300,000 packets/second. On Linux (no virtualization) it'll do 1.6 million packets-per-second. That's fast enough to melt most networks.

Note that it'll only melt your own network. It randomizes the target IP addresses so that it shouldn't overwhelm any distant network.

Try dropping --rate150000 and do --max-rate 15000 or something like that. It will take a few days to scan the internet. But should not crash your local network. If it still does crash you need to keep lowering it till you find the right settings for your connection

Edited by GuardMoony