SD card issues?

My main issue is the sd card.

When I got my Pineapple in the mail today I already knew it came with a 2gb card but I had a spare 8gb card. So the first thing I did was copy the files from the included sd to the 8gb card. I then started installation and all went well. I was able to install a few infusions to the sd card and got it running. I then turned it off. I came back later and the pineapple bar said I had infusions installed but did not see any of them on the home screen. So then I thought it was an issue with the sd card. So I formatted it in USB info. I then reboot the Pineapple and tried to install infusions to the sd card like I did when I first started using it. I can only install to internal storage. I think it is all being used for swap? Guessing the format didn't work I tried formatting the sd with gparted on my computer and saw 2 partitions and a bunch of untouched space. Then I tried a format and got an error(with gparted). Then I tried using the official Sdformatter on windows, it said disable write protection. I just want to install infusions to the space on the sd.

Side-note. I noticed the pineapple can run with out the sd card inserted.

Another issue is how hot does this thing get? Mine gets quite warm to the touch after a short while.

Here is what Main Resources shows:

Current Disk Usage:

Filesystem Size Used Available Use Mounted on
rootfs 4.1M 448.0K 3.6M 11% /
/dev/root 11.0M 11.0M 0 100% /rom
tmpfs 30.2M 120.0K 30.1M 0% /tmp
tmpfs 512.0K 0 512.0K 0% /dev
/dev/mtdblock3 4.1M 448.0K 3.6M 11% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay 4.1M 448.0K 3.6M 11% /

Current Memory Usage:

total used free shared buffers
Mem: 61804 32228 29576 0 3508
-/+ buffers: 28720 33084
Swap: 2013192 0 2013192

Please Help!

Note: I just tried formatting again in USB info and Swap changed to 4026384. I don't want all swap I just want to install infusions to a sd card partition.

Another note: Every time I use format in usb info and refresh the page the swap increases now it's 5032980...6039576....7046172... now at 4026384??? I'm starting to get ticked off.

Edited by googleknowsbest

Take SD card out.... reformat to whatever on a different machine. Put back into the pineapple. Boot it up, go to Resources Tile, got to the USB info tab and the first option will be to format the SD card. If that isn't working you might try a Factory Reset, and then if that doesn't work try a firmware reinstall over the internet... Last resort is to get the files back onto that 2gig SD provided and try that one.

Take SD card out.... reformat to whatever on a different machine. Put back into the pineapple. Boot it up, go to Resources Tile, got to the USB info tab and the first option will be to format the SD card. If that isn't working you might try a Factory Reset, and then if that doesn't work try a firmware reinstall over the internet... Last resort is to get the files back onto that 2gig SD provided and try that one.

I already tried formatting with 2 tools and they both failed. I tried factory reset no luck. What file system does the mk.5 install to the sd?

FAT

So it sets up the linux swap and fat? I'm in gparted right now and it show up as unknown except for the swap. I really need help. Please. Is the mk.5 using the the wrong partitions? I need some help.

Is it my Fstab config?

I had a bad SD card and and had bricked my Pineapple. I had to reflash my MKV via these instructions: https://wifipineapple.com/?flashing .

I formatted the SD Card to FAT, placed the extracted downloaded ZIP SD card files into the root of the SD Card from the instructions at the bottom for Unbricking a bricked MKV.

I hope that helps.

Edited by phubar

I had a bad SD card and and had bricked my Pineapple. I had to reflash my MKV via these instructions: https://wifipineapple.com/?flashing .

I formatted the SD Card to FAT, placed the extracted downloaded ZIP SD card files into the root of the SD Card from the instructions at the bottom for Unbricking a bricked MKV.

I hope that helps.

The issue is I can't format my sd card.

I just re-flashed but I can't use it for storage and I can't format it because it is write protected if I use gparted. Micro sd cards don't have a switch. Is it corrupted? But I can still see the partitions.

The issue is I can't format my sd card.

I just re-flashed but I can't use it for storage it and I can format it because it is write protected if I use gparted. Micro sd cards don't have a switch. Is it corrupted? But I can still see the partitions.

If it says it's write protected, it's dead. Have had that happen to a few cards in different devices. No clue what causes it, other than shitty cards. So far they've all been sandisk.

If it says it's write protected, it's dead. Have had that happen to a few cards in different devices. No clue what causes it, other than shitty cards. So far they've all been sandisk.

If I put in the 2gb card will it eat that too. I only wanted to save to the sd card. Are there any commands I can try? It shows the card partitioned right in gparted but the main one is unknown. Also the under Resources, Swap keeps jumping around every time I format it. So is it writing or not? Is Fstab an issue or is it not finding the partition? These are the thing that perplex me.

Also if I swap out with the 2gb card do I need any files on it or can I just plug it in while it's on. I'm using the mk.5 with eth0 and wlan1 client mode to type this on my desktop.

Fstab Config:

config global automount
option from_fstab 1
option anon_mount 1
config global autoswap
option from_fstab 1
option anon_swap 0
config mount
option target /sd
option device /dev/sdcard/sd1
option fstype auto
option options rw,sync
option enabled 1
option enabled_fsck 0
config swap
option device /dev/sdcard/sd2
option enabled 1

So FAT is only one of the formats accepted by the Mark 5. I'm pretty sure when you use the internal Format SD card button it uses EXT4. And it actually creates a swap file and storage space during that process. You really shouldn't have to do anything. You probably shouldn't run the pineapple without an SD inserted. As long as your Mark 5 is up and running the firmware normally you can power it off, put in the 2gig card, power up, go to the Resources Tile and Format the SD card, then reboot it all. Everything should be setup at that point. I'd trust barry's judgement on the write protection problem as I haven't experienced it myself.

I'm lost... Which issue is unresolved? Don't think we can fix the write lock... As long as your pineapple is good and you can now install infusions you're set for some mayhem. :) Let us know if there was something else we've missed.

Edit: grammar

Edited by thesugarat

This same thing literally just happened to me just now. I'm in the midst of trying a couple of things but so far the MKV's format utility didn't work and neither did Windows. The only thing I've done in the past 24 hours is add another adapter to the USB port and update a couple of infusions. Strange coincidence. I'll factory reset it and report back.