Wifi Pineapple coupled with Raspberry Kali

UltimatePeter

Wish I had seen this thread sooner, I spent most of my day Sunday setting up Kali on a Pi. Had everything working nicely with the Pi connected to the Pineapple's Ethernet port. I installed Gnome on the KaliPi, and was able to SSH and VNC into the KaliPi while it was connected to the Pineapple, and the Pineapple to my home Wifi. I had an Alfa connected to the Pi, and was able to use nmap, wifite, fern, reaver, wash, bully, etc at good speeds. With the VNC connection, I essentially had a Kali/laptop. (a slow one)

Has anyone looked into booting from USB with the Kali setup? I have two Pi's setup in my house (one for OpenElec, the other for RetroPie) both boot from USB. Using a crap 4gb class 4 SD, and a USB 2.0 drive, the speed is fantastic. MUCH MUCH faster/smoother than the class 10 SD card I was using. (booting from a USB drive has been discussed quite a bit in XBMC forums) Also (at least with XBMC) it was fairly easy to get corrupt data written to the SD when overclocked. (I only had an issue once) While booting from the USB drive, overclocking to 1050mhz is not a problem.

I am thinking of putting a setup together with an Anker battery, Pineapple, Pi, spare Alfa, antennas, Pelican case, etc. I'd like to play with the Pi/Pineapple a bit more before doing it.

Why would anyone want Kali on a drop box? Because with open-wrt you are in dependency hell! Surely i am not the only one who has experienced this?

Have you tried to do much custom outside of the infusions? its like smacking your head against a wall. WOOOOOW HOLD up dude you cant do that with this kernel!!! the infusion releases are slow because of the dev time involved in getting them to work with the pineapples hardware and open-wrt (really appreciate the people who put time into this work). Each of those infusions would have been available day 1 if the dropbox was based on Kali or similar stripped down Arm distro. The release rate of available infusions would see astronomical growth.

Sure, if you look at it from the point of view that its a dumb connect one network to another device then yes Kali is overkill, but are we seeing the device used for more than that? I remember back when it took months to iron out sslstrip issues on open-wrt...if the pineapple moved to kali then there isn't any mucking around, we see a new tool released then bam is available to enhance the functionality of our pivot box. we had to wait years for dependencies required to get nodogsplash running. openvpn? etc.

So why would anyone not want to run kali on their Pivot box? Probably because open-wrt was the best choice before ARM compatible distro's and cheap hardware were available.... I could be totally off the mark here, i am interested in why you think open-wrt is the superior choice for a pivot box?

Thats just simply not true lol. While the kernel has caused issues for packages in the past, it has been a rare occurence, atleast as far as I am aware :P. Also, OpenWRT is the best choice because it runs smooth on routers. Which is what the Pineapple is, its easier to compile and easier to support.

Thats just simply not true lol. While the kernel has caused issues for packages in the past, it has been a rare occurence, atleast as far as I am aware :P. Also, OpenWRT is the best choice because it runs smooth on routers. Which is what the Pineapple is, its easier to compile and easier to support.

"Thats just simply not true lol."

Really? i didn't have to look far for other people experiencing the same thing: (note the business as usual comment)

https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/30908-fbi-police-confiscating-the-pineapple-lawyer-up-and-shut-your-mouth/?p=233389

"OpenWRT is the best choice because it runs smooth on routers."

My interest was in moving away from router hardware and running the whole thing from a rasberry pi. I'm not aware of any functions open-wrt can do that kali with usb wifi cant, kali has all the evil ap scripts ready to go. As for stability, there is no issues with competitors such as the pwnie plug 2 cranking a smooth AP from a kali distro.

Im talking about the evolution of the pineapple as a pen test tool once cheap technology is available..staying agile etc. Meterpreter reverse shells on the same device as the evil AP would be rad.

Anyway i think i have answered your "why would anyone want to" question, by the sound of it you cant see any advantage in moving away from open-wrt. i am still interested if the hak5 team have it in their pineapple pipeline (or kicked around the idea)....maybe a more expensive pineapple pro for example.

Edited by Isolot

If anyone is still interested, I've got Kali booting from a USB drive instead of the SD. I'm using an old 2gb class 4 SD, and a (slow) 32GB USB drive. It definitely boots up faster, and moves around faster. I've also overclocked the CPU from 700mhz to 1ghz, and the RAM from 250mhz to 500mhz.

I'm guessing if you used one of the spiffy USB drives like this, it would help: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008R6OPJQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

• 5 months later...

If anyone is still interested, I've got Kali booting from a USB drive instead of the SD. I'm using an old 2gb class 4 SD, and a (slow) 32GB USB drive. It definitely boots up faster, and moves around faster. I've also overclocked the CPU from 700mhz to 1ghz, and the RAM from 250mhz to 500mhz.

I'm guessing if you used one of the spiffy USB drives like this, it would help: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008R6OPJQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Thanks for your information! I will try it.