https, SSL, cain & able?

G-Stress

I may be wrong, but after I saw one of the episodes I believe either 3 or 5 where they used Cain and Abel to arp poision, I thought they demonstrated a way to protect your machine from such attack, but as I go back and re-watch the episodes I don't see it. I know it doesn't capture https traffic, I'm just wondering on the steps I would need to take to protect myself from such attack? If someone could be so kind to provide a link possibly?

I also wanna say I wasn't to worried about security until I started running cain 24/7 on one of my boxes just poisioning my whole lan and i'm glad I do, because I caught 2 attackers. 1 was someone tryin to brute force my ftp server and another someone scanned me I assume and discovered I am running vnc and they attempted to log in... unsuccessfully of course;)

oohs, im going to plug my computer into a lightening rod...

Actually, outpost firewall will force your computer to stick to the original ap it sees, which should stop this sort of thing, provided the network was clean when you started...

hmm, I could have swore on one of the episodes, they demonstrated cain arp poisoning, then they went to the same web site only cain did not pick up the username and pass after they did something differnet. I can't remember if they used some 3rd. party app or if they just made some change to their pc configuration :?

I noticed nobody mentioned static arp tables

this would only be suitable on a very small network that your computer is basically ALWAYS plugged into. Basically you would keep a static list that matches IP addresses to MAC addresses. As you can imagine, certainly not a fun thing to do if you often use wifi or public networks or if you're otherwise often moving your computer. Also, given that it's your own personal network, it's unlikely that you're actually gonna get anybody in your home trying to attack you.

I noticed nobody mentioned static arp tables

this would only be suitable on a very small network that your computer is basically ALWAYS plugged into. Basically you would keep a static list that matches IP addresses to MAC addresses. As you can imagine, certainly not a fun thing to do if you often use wifi or public networks or if you're otherwise often moving your computer. Also, given that it's your own personal network, it's unlikely that you're actually gonna get anybody in your home trying to attack you.

Yea I thought about static arp tables but haven't looked into setting them up yet. I don't login to anything I use on any lan except my own after learning about arp poisioning. Except when I use my cell phone cause it's a client/server connection. I agree though, that there is no perfect security. 1 more ? as far as my situation goes, what sniffer/lan monitor would you guys recommend to be sniffing 24/7 but checked daily? I know ethereal/wireshark does tend to consume alot of space after sometime, so was wondering if anyone else had any other suggestions?

If you have an extra box lying around at home you could set up a vpn (could be as easy as tunneling via ssh). Whenever you are out at a coffee shop or on an untrusted network, access your vpn. I usually tunnel vnc or remote desktop.

The problem is that at some point there is always going to be a point to sniff your traffic--even if you are tunnelling to your home, anyone who is linked to your home network or at the node above it can compromise your plaintext data.