Learning Python

Foxtrot

Hey guys,

Was wondering what the best resource is for learning Python, I have little to none experience with it and from my point of view, the best language for coding in Linux, right?... I heard LearnPythonTheHardWay is good but I think I learn better from books... Anyone heard of any that I should look at?

Cheers,

-Foxtrot

First of all, I would dispute that Python is the best language for "coding in Linux". It's a good language, and a useful language (on Linux as much as on any other platform). However, on Linux the two most important languages are Bash and C.

That said, Python is easier to learn so you might as well start there. Learn Python The Hard Way is certainly one of the best resources out there for learning Python. If you need it in book form, here you go: http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Python-Hard-Way-Introduction/dp/0321884914

If you're still determined to use a different book, it's hard to go wrong with anything published by O'Reilly. There are plenty of other good books on Python out there, but you might as well start collecting pink O'Reilly books now.

• 6 months later...

I was motivated to learn python from taking a python programming class (which I learned nothing from besides syntax). Python has great documentation it is very easy to read and navigate http://docs.python.org/3/. To learn the syntax if you don't want to spend any money I would suggest just going on youtube and finding a video not made by a 9 year old kid but someone who has years experience (they do exist!). And last but not least, as when learning any language start a project so you have something to continue writting without getting bored instantly. It doesnt have to be complex it could be a sentence generator or rock paper scissors game!

Good luck I love python so if you need any help let me know :D

I can vouch for violent python, great book and very entertaining :)

I'm not the original poster, but just wanted to say thanks to you and iamk3 for the Violent Python recommendation. I got the book after I read about it here, and it really is fun.

I'm not the original poster, but just wanted to say thanks to you and iamk3 for the Violent Python recommendation. I got the book after I read about it here, and it really is fun.

Glad to hear we helped, and yes it's a great book! :D

Have fun :)

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you like it! Hopefully I will be able to get into it soon! :)