Dare Me

whitehat

I have an interview @ Intel for a science position in about 10 hours. I'm too nervous to sleep. They told me to bring my laptop so that they can make me demonstrate proficiency with my software apps on the spot.

My laptop is a semi-flagrant linux hacker box with plenty of LED's, skins, etc. In addition, BackTrack, which is the OS on the comp I'm taking, doesn't play well with the internal network adapter. I've also destroyed network-manager and the replacement .deb's of it I downloaded give me dependency error with dpkg -i.

But anyway, I will need to get online to RDP with my MATLAB cloud in the interview. I *could* just ask for a wired connection, but wouldn't it be funny if I took one of my giant hak5 antennas?? I have the large Yagi and the one that looks like a satellite dish receiver.

The question is, of course, does anyone dare me to do it?

If you've no intention of making a real effort to get the job, sorry if my assumption is wrong, then you may as well go dressed like Hunter Thompson, Hawaiian shirt, tan shorts, baseball cap, and maybe a snorkel and some diving flippers.

If you've no intention of making a real effort to get the job, sorry if my assumption is wrong, then you may as well go dressed like Hunter Thompson, Hawaiian shirt, tan shorts, baseball cap, and maybe a snorkel and some diving flippers.

Lol Digip that's the most hilarious thing I've ever heard.

To the OP, there is no need to be dared, if you want to make an impression on them, just be yourself and do your best and good luck.

Edited by Infiltrator

Thanks Infiltrator. LOL Digi.

Come on, no one dared me tho? What's wrong with you guys LOL jk

They called me back before I even got home and offered me 30% more than I was expecting. Almost 6 figures! Which is good, because I spent 8 years in school making $1,600/mo as a research assistant and I have a student loan.

I signed the contract and now I've just done the background check and name badge paperwork. Today was SUCH a good day :)!

*Oh* and guess what? I took my 2 pimped out hacker laptops and I took the smaller of the 2 antennas. Didn't need the antenna but my new PhD in CS boss guy loved the hacked out laptops and it sure couldn't have hurt. I think maybe he saw the antenna in my briefcase but idk.

I truly DIDN'T think I would get the jobs Digi, but I wasn't trying to be disrespectful to them with the antennas. These guys are all hackers and wear blue jeans to work. They're like us!

Edited by whitehat

Well, not like all of us. For fuck sake man, this is bat country out here. Have to keep your wits about you. I wear shorts and t shirts all year round. Makes it easier to spot the bite marks and flesh woulds, in case any of them bite you. God damn blood sucking vampires, I tell you. Just make sure to keep your brief case locked and with you at all times. No telling what these animals might do, and they might go straight for the ether, and were sure to need that stuff later....

All kidding aside, good deal on the job.

Congratulations Whitehat and good luck for the coming months.

thank you bro's!

bat country?? well yea, when i lived in Georgia there were bats, but i have to wonder where bat country is lol

it's the bat droppings that i dont like

its a reference to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Great book and even better movie with Johnny Depp as a dead on Hunter S Thompson. One of my fav movies.

The clips aren't full movie parts, just bits, but you should rent it sometime when you have a chance. It may take a few sittings through, the first time you watch it, is hard to really take it all in. About the 3rd time you watch it, you notice a ton of subtle political references and things that happened during that time period that were pretty crazy to think most of it is based on actual, true events, with the embellishment of Hunter's writing to make it that much more vibrant and imaginative.

Edited by digip

• 2 weeks later...

Funny thing...I worked at Intel for 3 years in the 90's, and that would have been considered "average business" wear there.

Intel is a goofy culture onto itself.

I would even suggest the Thompson look (sans flipper) may just get you a brownie point with most of the folks I worked with out there.

Little story: My first day at Intel (worked in the debug lab checking microcode after the Pentium II debacle) I showed up in a suit and tie, hair all slicked back, lookin' all kindza sharp.

My boss led me to my area which was with about 6 other folks. I sat between a guy wearing a sarapi and some gigantic head turbin, and a guy wearing Birkenstocks and a tie dyed t-shirt.

TyeDye says to me after about 5 minutes: "Hey bro, it's Intel. How about you take that tie off and loosen up a bit?"

:)

I took off the tie, the jacket, removed the hair ties, and from that point forward for the next 3 years I showed up in jeans, t-shirt, and my hair down. Worked my up and eventually took a job elsewhere, but Intel was one of the most fun places I've ever worked, hands down. IntelSpeak gets a little tired, and the security was ridiculous tight, but it was so much damn fun. :)

Good luck on your job interview! Bring the laptop that suits the purpose best, dont' worry about how it looks, just go in and kill it. It's Intel. They don't care how you look.