please recomend equipment for a 2 story building for wifi network

soniczed

hi to all

i am looking for help on the best way to implent a wifi network to a 50 room 2 story hotel

can some one suggest me the most affordable way to do this

i have being using a 1 router 2 extenders setup bott i keep loosing connection

then i added 2 12 db antena and place them about 50 ft from the wifi router and i still loose connection on the second floor

i really apreaciate any help on this

thankyou.

I used to work for a company that installed WiFi into hotels and the way we did it was one of two...

we either would put in a weatherproof box on a pole outside of each side of the hotel an access point which was powered by Power Over Ethernet and a Unidirectional Parabolic Antenna much like what you see Darren use in the

In cases where this was too costly or just plain won't work because of hurricane proofing (See Florida Hotels), depending on the size of the hotel there were 1 to 2 access points in the drop ceiling of each floor, each with High Gain Omni-directional Antennas (i forget the dB sorry >.>)

basically if when you get off the elevator in the hotel it says left to go to this block of rooms, and right to go to that block, we would put an access point at the halfway mark between the elevator and end of the hall.

Again everything running with Power Over Ethernet, and the cabling looked something like this

Closet/Main Switch ----Ethenet----> PoE Injector-----> cable run to drop ceiling into WAP

Hope this helps

p.s. If the hotel is a circle check your signal strength with one access point in the hall first and go to the other end to see if it is feasible, if not add a second set of WAPs (ie:\\ do your homework)

edit: I forgot to mention, do not use extenders as GuardMoony said, they are really not a proper solution.

Edited by BlueWyvern

I used to work for a company that installed WiFi into hotels and the way we did it was one of two...

we either would put in a weatherproof box on a pole outside of each side of the hotel an access point which was powered by Power Over Ethernet and a Unidirectional Parabolic Antenna much like what you see Darren use in the

In cases where this was too costly or just plain won't work because of hurricane proofing (See Florida Hotels), depending on the size of the hotel there were 1 to 2 access points in the drop ceiling of each floor, each with High Gain Omni-directional Antennas (i forget the dB sorry >.>)

basically if when you get off the elevator in the hotel it says left to go to this block of rooms, and right to go to that block, we would put an access point at the halfway mark between the elevator and end of the hall.

Again everything running with Power Over Ethernet, and the cabling looked something like this

Closet/Main Switch ----Ethenet----> PoE Injector-----> cable run to drop ceiling into WAP

Hope this helps

p.s. If the hotel is a circle check your signal strength with one access point in the hall first and go to the other end to see if it is feasible, if not add a second set of WAPs (ie:\\ do your homework)

edit: I forgot to mention, do not use extenders as GuardMoony said, they are really not a proper solution.

Thank you all for ou're input

so here is what i am proposing to do

1st floor 2 access points connected by POE

2nd floor 2 access points connected by POE

main IT room from modem to cisco Wireless router to POE switch (D-LINK DGS-1008P 8-PORT GIGABIT PoE SWITCH) 802.3af

to all four of the AP (EnGenius EAP300 WIRELESS-N HIGH POWER LONG-RANGE ACCESS POINT)

so a few more questions

do you guys think this are good enough? would you recommend smething else?

am i going to be able to power all 4 of the access points with that switch?

the switch and all the AP are 802.3af compatible but since this is the first time i do this i dont know if i need a POE injector or i need to separete the power on the Access point side and put a 12 volt dc adapter or will they be powered by the ethernet connector???

thank you all and please forgive my ignorance.