Tunneling DNS Requests

Random_N00b

The ISP I'm buying internet from has 3 DNS servers listed when I do an ipconfig /all (I know, Windows.), 2 OpenDNS servers and a server on the Default Gateway. I'm trying to bypass their DNS servers, which block some sites due to restrictive policies, and I'm sure they're doing some snooping. I thought about DNS tunneling, but I think that would still be seen by the DNS on the default gateway. I currently have a VPS running SSH and a web proxy set up that I'm tunneling my web traffic through. However, DNS requests are still being handled by the Default Gateway. Is there any way to completely tunnel my DNS traffic to avoid using their DNS Servers? Thank you in advance.

Set it both on the router, and your OS settings. if you don't have a router, then just set it manually in the OS for the NIC, and for the ISP's DNS server, set a block for it using the hosts file. Thats what I do for Comcast's DNS server.

just tell your system to use a differnet ip for dns.

8.8.8.8 - google

4.4.2.2 - i forgot who

are some that will work.

I tried that. All DNS requests go to the default gateway regardless of the IP in my system. Thanks though.

Set it both on the router, and your OS settings. if you don't have a router, then just set it manually in the OS for the NIC, and for the ISP's DNS server, set a block for it using the hosts file. Thats what I do for Comcast's DNS server.

The problem with that is I still need to be able to get to 10.153.0.1 (default gw address) in order to log into the system. Think of it as a coffee shop network that I have no choice but to use. I put the block in my hosts file to 10.153.0.1, but I don't think it worked. I'm still getting blocked by the DNS. Do you think tunneling through DNS would solve this problem? Sorry for an odd kind of problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried that. All DNS requests go to the default gateway regardless of the IP in my system. Thanks though.

The problem with that is I still need to be able to get to 10.153.0.1 (default gw address) in order to log into the system. Think of it as a coffee shop network that I have no choice but to use. I put the block in my hosts file to 10.153.0.1, but I don't think it worked. I'm still getting blocked by the DNS. Do you think tunneling through DNS would solve this problem? Sorry for an odd kind of problem.

I assume your default gateway is your router? Can you log into router and set the IPs for the DNS servers you want to use there? Also if you want to specify DNS at the host level you most probably want to turn DHCP on the computer and go with static for everything.

Also to me DNS Tunneling means running other protocols over DNS like what iodine does http://code.kryo.se/iodine/

The ISP I'm buying internet from has 3 DNS servers listed when I do an ipconfig /all (I know, Windows.), 2 OpenDNS servers and a server on the Default Gateway. I'm trying to bypass their DNS servers, which block some sites due to restrictive policies, and I'm sure they're doing some snooping. I thought about DNS tunneling, but I think that would still be seen by the DNS on the default gateway. I currently have a VPS running SSH and a web proxy set up that I'm tunneling my web traffic through. However, DNS requests are still being handled by the Default Gateway. Is there any way to completely tunnel my DNS traffic to avoid using their DNS Servers? Thank you in advance.

I would use the Firefox, "Network.proxy.socks remote dns" built in option.

What it does is, it uses the remote DNS server, instead of your local ISP DNS servers to do the DNS queries or look ups.

Now you can use your VPS DNS servers to handle all the DNS work.

Edited by Infiltrator

I would use the Firefox, "Network.proxy.socks remote dns" built in option.

What it does is, it uses the remote DNS server, instead of your local ISP DNS servers to do the DNS queries or look ups.

Now you can use your VPS DNS servers to handle all the DNS work.

That was exactly what I needed. Thank you. Now my DNS requests are going over my SSH Tunnel and bypassing the restrictive and filtering DNS on the Default Gateway. I was not aware of that feature in the config part of Firefox. Thank you for making me aware of it. Now, because I'm still new, did I miss something common or is this something I should have known?

Also, question answered/problem resolved. Admins, please mark thread accordingly. Thank you.