Laptop Recommendation

JimJ

Now that I'm doing more and more development in Linux, I want to get un-tethered from my desktop Zotac box. Any recommendations on a light-weight, nice laptop to run Linux Mint on? Usual specs. Want to keep price under $800.. Where do you purchase a laptop without an o/s installed. I want a decent keyboard.

So just asking what you use and/or recommend.

Thanks.

I love my HP DV7... the only issue is mine gets hot (never too hot unless doing some gaming) and my biometric scanner is not available in the REPOS... but all in all... it is nice! It was 1,200 when I bought it almost two years ago, but it looks like they are around 800 now... ( I wiped mine of Windows 7... oops... o well :) )

I would just go with specs of a laptop that support everything you need, fro, drivers and video hardware, to wireless, etc, then make the purchase regardless of whats installed on it. You can always wipe the machine to put linux on, or shrink the partition and then dual boot even, but most every computer you buy, is going to have an OS on them. Manufacturers sell with Windows and Linux these days, but don't let an OS on one stop you from getting the one that has the most compatible hardware and things you want in a device.

For me, I like NewEgg, but just found B&H Photo, which surprisingly, sells some of the same laptops as bigger retailers like BestBuy and Amazon, for half the price in some instances, sometimes even cheaper than NewEgg. My mother-in-law's boyfriend just bought an i5 Sony Vaio for like $300 less than everywhere else during their Black Friday sale, so check them out too for cheap laptops with decent specs.

personally i like sager laptops, i have not tried putting linux on it yet but they come without an OS installed and have a lot of performance for the buck

You're the second person I've heard recommend Sager. Martin Bos just picked one up and his laptop came with 16GB mem and I beleive an i7 CPU, so that sounds pretty sharp for laptops and I believe the price range on them are more affordable than the main stream name brands like Dell and such. Will be looking out for them in the future. I'm just not in need of a new laptop since we have 4 in the house now and the only one that really gets used is my wifes since she takes it to work and is her only computer at work.

You're the second person I've heard recommend Sager. Martin Bos just picked one up and his laptop came with 16GB mem and I beleive an i7 CPU, so that sounds pretty sharp for laptops and I believe the price range on them are more affordable than the main stream name brands like Dell and such. Will be looking out for them in the future. I'm just not in need of a new laptop since we have 4 in the house now and the only one that really gets used is my wifes since she takes it to work and is her only computer at work.

they are pretty affordable and come with quite a bit of performance. the only downfall is the shipping, it take about 3 weeks to get one. they are shipped from clevo in france and have to go through customs then they are configured in the US and have the sager badges installed and what not. they are the cheapest in price compaired to other re-branded clevos and they are fully upgradable and you wont void your warranty for upgrading them. my brother managed to break the hdmi port on his in 2 months, but he is extremely rough on electronics and used the hdmi port daily. its probably just a loose solder joint, ill take it apart and check one of these days, need some new thermal compound first. i think my current thermal paste has reached an expiration date or something, maybe i havent been cleaning the cpu and heat sink surfaces enough. going to get some grey ice 4200 some day

• 3 weeks later...

After Having this same debate here is the info i have come up with the system below the major plus are if you look you can find Crazy deals for sub 400 you can get 4 gb of ram in them and there dule 2.X cpu and a nice GPU so you can still use there GPU Core for Pushing heavy Tasks. i will be spliting my system in to 3 Drives 100gb storage and 50 gb win and 50gb Linux.

The Samsung X460 was crafted with industry-leading features to make you more productive. Weighing less than 4 pounds and only 1.25" thin, you can take it anywhere. You can hit the ground running because there are no compromises on performance. The performance enhanced lithium ion battery delivers up to 6 hours of nonstop run time. In a class all its own, for those with a style all their own, the Samsung X460 is a strategy that won't fail.

• Product Description Samsung X460 44G - 14.1" - Core 2 Duo P7350 - Vista Business - 3 GB RAM - 250 GB HDD
  • System Type Notebook
  • Operating System Vista Business
  • Processor Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 / 2 GHz / 3 MB Cache
  • Memory 3 GB DDR3
  • Storage 250 GB HDD / 5400 rpm
  • Optical Drive DVD-Writer DL
  • Display 14.1" LED backlight 1280 x 800 / WXGA
  • Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS - 256 MB
  • Networking Bluetooth 2.0 EDR, 802.11 a/b/g/n (draft) , Gigabit Ethernet , fax / modem
  • Battery 6-cell - up to 6 hour(s)
  • Security Trusted Platform Module (TPM) Security Chip , fingerprint reader
  • Dimensions (WxDxH) 13.3 in x 9.7 in x 1.3 in
  • Weight 4 lbs

I would just go with specs of a laptop that support everything you need, fro, drivers and video hardware, to wireless, etc, then make the purchase regardless of whats installed on it. You can always wipe the machine to put linux on, or shrink the partition and then dual boot even, but most every computer you buy, is going to have an OS on them. Manufacturers sell with Windows and Linux these days, but don't let an OS on one stop you from getting the one that has the most compatible hardware and things you want in a device.

For me, I like NewEgg, but just found B&H Photo, which surprisingly, sells some of the same laptops as bigger retailers like BestBuy and Amazon, for half the price in some instances, sometimes even cheaper than NewEgg. My mother-in-law's boyfriend just bought an i5 Sony Vaio for like $300 less than everywhere else during their Black Friday sale, so check them out too for cheap laptops with decent specs.

what laptop u r using now ? i mean brand & spec ?

I am getting myself this laptop and installing either CentOS or MintOS on it. I haven't decided which Distro yet.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1013&products_id=22262