not sure if bricked or...

Aprizm

• Pineapple Hardware Version MARK IV
  • Pineapple Software Version (ex: 2.5.0, 2.6.4): 2.7.0
  • OS used to connect to the pineapple: Windows 7
  • Network layout of how your setup is connected (including IP information): basic tethering as shown in instructions
  • All the tools/options that are running on the pineapple when the issue happened: almost everything from the pineapple bar was installed
  • Ping results from computer to pineapple: unreachable
  • Is the problem repeatable (Yes/No):yes
  • Steps taken which created the problem:not sure
  • Error Messages: none
  • Log file information:
  • Anything else that was attempted to 'fix' the problem: press the reset button at the bottom of the device...

Ok so my device seems to be working (lights up when device is powered) but I cant connect to it and I cant connect to it with wireless like i use to. so my question is how do i go about repairing this? can I flash the device or revert to manufacturer settings type of thing?

it really sucks i had it for 2 days and now I cant use it... I didnt do anything crazy except install things from the pineapple bar. I tried to reinstall update 2.7.0

and i got an error during update it said like error 5 .

thanx in advance

ps: the device was working before so please dont tell me the new address of the webui :P

Edited by Aprizm

I am with you. I got mine today and like I do everything I checked for updates. I hit the update button and waited. The screen went to http://172.16.42.1/pineapple/redirect.php I gave it a while then closed the browser. when I connect again I get the same page. I tried to ssh into it and was allowed access. the MOTD shows to be 2.7.0 now. I did try the reset button and no love.

I am with you. I got mine today and like I do everything I checked for updates. I hit the update button and waited. The screen went to http://172.16.42.1/p...le/redirect.php I gave it a while then closed the browser. when I connect again I get the same page. I tried to ssh into it and was allowed access. the MOTD shows to be 2.7.0 now. I did try the reset button and no love.

go to

172.16.42.1:1471

well I did everything everybody suggested, ive read pretty much every thread about bricking and it seems other have the exact problem.

I power up the device and only 2 light comes on : PWR and LAN if i plug Ethernet cable it flashes but I cannot access it from my PC (this was working before, ive rechecked all the settings and everything should work). Also it does not create an AP like it used to.

Im still very hopefull for the flash cable :) I might learn something in the process so its all good

So you are unable to connect to the pineapple both WLAN and POE LAN?

Have you tried accessing via WAN LAN?

If you plug the WAN interface to your wired LAN in your house, then you should be able to connect via that interface, have you tried that? If you are unsure what the IP might be, then you can i.e. make a ping sweep, and try to access the IP's in your browser.

So you are unable to connect to the pineapple both WLAN and POE LAN?

Have you tried accessing via WAN LAN?

If you plug the WAN interface to your wired LAN in your house, then you should be able to connect via that interface, have you tried that? If you are unsure what the IP might be, then you can i.e. make a ping sweep, and try to access the IP's in your browser.

very clever idea. tried it and the device isnt registering with the router because I can see all other device on my lan but not this one :( thanx for the suggestion

very clever idea. tried it and the device isnt registering with the router because I can see all other device on my lan but not this one :( thanx for the suggestion

Aprizm,

From reading your post you seem to have ruled out the pineapple's ability to recieve an IP address from your router. Have you attempted to set your Nic card (PC or Laptop nic directly connected to the pineapple) to the static address of 172.16.42.42, with 255.255.255.0 as the subnet, and attempt access that way? Either via the web UI or via SSH... There are two eth ports on the pineapple, one pulls an IP from your router and the other is set to the static address. Try it on both ports. I'm betting it won't work as it sounds like your firmware upgrade was interupted and caused the rare pineapple brick, but it's worth a try while waiting for the serial cable.

Aprizm,

From reading your post you seem to have ruled out the pineapple's ability to recieve an IP address from your router. Have you attempted to set your Nic card (PC or Laptop nic directly connected to the pineapple) to the static address of 172.16.42.42, with 255.255.255.0 as the subnet, and attempt access that way? Either via the web UI or via SSH... There are two eth ports on the pineapple, one pulls an IP from your router and the other is set to the static address. Try it on both ports. I'm betting it won't work as it sounds like your firmware upgrade was interupted and caused the rare pineapple brick, but it's worth a try while waiting for the serial cable.

tried it all yesterday. im pretty sure its brick by now. no stress ill try the cable when it comes in. Im just a lil pissed because I rather work on modules than have it in a working state. :) but eh learning is always fun

Ok, I am in the exact same situation. Tried everyting in this thread and no luck. I just received this thing today and all I did was change the root password and then follow the upgrade process BY THE LETTER from the guide book. This is VERY irritating. I have wanted this for quite some time and it took me a very long time to save up the money for it. My original Fon pineapple that I setup according to Darren's original instructions several years ago quit working properly quite some time ago so I was very excited when I heard this had arrived. Now I have to purchase another cable in the hopes that this will fix it?! I am rather dubious; and after the lack of community support I have experienced with my rubber ducky I am disenchanted with these products all together. What are the chances that this cable will fix my issue? Why did this upgrade process fail? Everything was done exactly as it was described in the guide; and no changes, other than root PW, were made to the device before the upgrade. Sorry to come off a bit heated but I am very discontented with this product so far and I have only had it for a few hours :( Please help! There must be something I can do!

Edited by TeCHemically

Ok, I am in the exact same situation. Tried everyting in this thread and no luck. I just received this thing today and all I did was change the root password and then follow the upgrade process BY THE LETTER from the guide book. This is VERY irritating. I have wanted this for quite some time and it took me a very long time to save up the money for it. My original Fon pineapple that I setup according to Darren's original instructions several years ago quit working properly quite some time ago so I was very excited when I heard this had arrived. Now I have to purchase another cable in the hopes that this will fix it?! I am rather dubious; and after the lack of community support I have experienced with my rubber ducky I am disenchanted with these products all together. What are the chances that this cable will fix my issue? Why did this upgrade process fail? Everything was done exactly as it was described in the guide; and no changes, other than root PW, were made to the device before the upgrade. Sorry to come off a bit heated but I am very discontented with this product so far and I have only had it for a few hours :( Please help! There must be something I can do!

The cable mentioned above takes almost a month to ship here from China! Is there any place I can acquire one of these closer?

I really hope you read the change logs on the firmware...

If it's truly bricked the cable will work. I'm pretty sure there is a clean flash post in the forums sticked. Not sure where you are but amazon had several of that same model. I searched:

CP2102 USB 2.0 to UART TTL 6PIN Module Serial Converter

The ones there seem to come with a block wire cable. You may want to get the individual cable bundle that was suggested with it...

Of couse that one is suggested because its been tested but others should work. But I'd stick to using that one if finding one on your own is outside your comfort zone.

And so we're clear... You have no SSID being broadcast? Wired connections don't work? And holding the reset button for 7 seconds didn't work? It's hard to help when we don't know exactly what you've tried. I did the same thing when I first turned on my pineapple. I upgraded to 2.7.0 and thought I'd bricked it. Turns out I just needed to go to the website using the port number and not the /pineapple. I was getting the constant redirect error.

While im waiting for my cable ive figured that my device is an ALFA router but I dont know which one... is there a more recent model of the same device? because ive seen them for 40-50$ on data alliance and i might buy another to install openwrt and experiment ... so which one do we have if we bought the pinapple (i got it a week ago) >?

and anybody tried one of the TPLINK ? pros/cons ? they look more robust than the alfa one...

If it's truly bricked the cable will work. I'm pretty sure there is a clean flash post in the forums sticked. Not sure where you are but amazon had several of that same model. I searched:

CP2102 USB 2.0 to UART TTL 6PIN Module Serial Converter

The ones there seem to come with a block wire cable. You may want to get the individual cable bundle that was suggested with it...

Of couse that one is suggested because its been tested but others should work. But I'd stick to using that one if finding one on your own is outside your comfort zone.

And so we're clear... You have no SSID being broadcast? Wired connections don't work? And holding the reset button for 7 seconds didn't work? It's hard to help when we don't know exactly what you've tried. I did the same thing when I first turned on my pineapple. I upgraded to 2.7.0 and thought I'd bricked it. Turns out I just needed to go to the website using the port number and not the /pineapple. I was getting the constant redirect error.

Thanks for your help! I found this one closer http://www.ebay.com/itm/290803061413?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 will it work? Holding the reset button for 7 seconds did not change anything but I do have the default SSID now being broadcast. When I try to connect to the browser I still have the redirect error. If I attempt the IP:1471 I am now getting the page and all the defaults are reset. How can I go about fixing this redirect issue? Also, to the other reply, no I did not look at the change log. Did I miss something important? I did read that 2.7.0 was a stable release but did not go farther than that. My apologies for my frustration yesterday and thank you for you help!

Well now you don't need the cable. You're getting in with :1471. Bottom line that works. I'm not even sure if there is a fix. I never looked into it. Glad you're not really bricked.

While im waiting for my cable ive figured that my device is an ALFA router but I dont know which one... is there a more recent model of the same device? because ive seen them for 40-50$ on data alliance and i might buy another to install openwrt and experiment ... so which one do we have if we bought the pinapple (i got it a week ago) >?

and anybody tried one of the TPLINK ? pros/cons ? they look more robust than the alfa one...

Make sure u get the 32MB or 64MB ram version. Data is selling the hornet-ub as a improved version but is actually only 16MB ram version

Make sure u get the 32MB or 64MB ram version. Data is selling the hornet-ub as a improved version but is actually only 16MB ram version

thanx a lot for this massive tip, problem is... ive browsed both data alliance and alfa site and nowhere do they mention the ram size of any device. Is there a place where I could get that information for every model they have?

they seem to have a lot of the same model with different configuration but no details on what these minor differences might be. should I just go for the most expensive one?

thanx a lot for this massive tip, problem is... ive browsed both data alliance and alfa site and nowhere do they mention the ram size of any device. Is there a place where I could get that information for every model they have?

they seem to have a lot of the same model with different configuration but no details on what these minor differences might be. should I just go for the most expensive one?

Give them an email, the openwrt version def says 16MB

• 3 weeks later...