not sure if bricked or...

Aprizm

I did not want to start a new thread but here goes.

I just received my Pineapple.

After an hour getting the networking to finally work, I logged into the pineapple and was getting used to the web interface. I decided the first thing I should do i change the password for root.

Now I can't login using neither the default or my new password. I do get to the login using ssh.

I tried resetting via the power button many times and different intervals.

Any further assistance is greatly appreciated.

I did not want to start a new thread but here goes.

I just received my Pineapple.

After an hour getting the networking to finally work, I logged into the pineapple and was getting used to the web interface. I decided the first thing I should do i change the password for root.

Now I can't login using neither the default or my new password. I do get to the login using ssh.

I tried resetting via the power button many times and different intervals.

Any further assistance is greatly appreciated.

I'm pretty sure that's a bug with the firmware they are sent out with. SSH to it as root, run passwd. Strongly suggest updating firmware ASAP.

I'm pretty sure that's a bug with the firmware they are sent out with. SSH to it as root, run passwd. Strongly suggest updating firmware ASAP.

Maybe it's the newb in me but I did my homework on how to run passwd and from what I gathered that requires me to be logged in as root, which I can't do. I can ssh to the pineapple but stuck at that point. When i try logging in via Ubuntu terminal i get Permissioned denied (publickey,password) message.

I am running the following command, sudo ssh root@172.16.42.1

You are not the first one to have such issues. I recall reading about password truncation issues in the forums. You may want to do a little searching in the forums. Personally I haven't encountered that particular issue but I've seen some funky things happen. My advice is to resist the urge to change the password right away while you're at home testing. I know that doens't help you now...

You are not the first one to have such issues. I recall reading about password truncation issues in the forums. You may want to do a little searching in the forums. Personally I haven't encountered that particular issue but I've seen some funky things happen. My advice is to resist the urge to change the password right away while you're at home testing. I know that doens't help you now...

I got a response from Shannon via email. I am going to do an exchange. Sadly I will be down for a week or so.

After talking with you on skype, and basically by accident, I may have found a solution.

If you are using the stock firmware of the pineapple (2.4.1) that you purchased from the HakShop

Used the GUI to change your password

If your password contains special characters (specifically $)

Try:

echo YOUR_ELITE_PASS > my_real_password
cat my_real_password
[/CODE]

Try using the string returned to you from

[CODE]cat my_real_password[/CODE]

to login as root.

Example:

[CODE]
protocol@protocol-desktop:~$ echo super$elite > test
protocol@protocol-desktop:~$ cat test
super
[/CODE]

So if my new password was "super$elite" when put into the 2.4.1 web GUI, the password to login would be "super"

After talking with you on skype, and basically by accident, I may have found a solution.

If you are using the stock firmware of the pineapple (2.4.1) that you purchased from the HakShop

Used the GUI to change your password

If your password contains special characters (specifically $)

Try:

echo YOUR_ELITE_PASS > my_real_password
cat my_real_password
[/CODE]

Try using the string returned to you from

[CODE]cat my_real_password[/CODE]

to login as root.

Example:

[CODE]
protocol@protocol-desktop:~$ echo super$elite > test
protocol@protocol-desktop:~$ cat test
super
[/CODE]

So if my new password was "super$elite" when put into the 2.4.1 web GUI, the password to login would be "super"

You are my elfin' hero. That fixed the problem!!!!!