Help With Initial Setup Of The Wifipineapple

i have a macbook pro and have installed vbox on it and got backtrack 5 running. after start up i have internet access and everything is working fine. i then plug the Ethernet cable into the poe lan port on the pineapple and then to the port on my computer. then i plug the power into the pineapple and then into the usb port on my computer. at this point the internet on backtrack 5 is still working. i then run the quickstart script and just press enter the entire time (i assume that entering nothing means that the value in brackets is used). after that i try to go to the link they tell me to go to but it doesnt work. and at this point the internet does not connect either. i hope what i wrote makes sense. please help me out. i have obvously done something stupid. thanks for the help.

What Networking adaptors have you set up in the backtrack VM, you would need two, one for the internet in and one for the pineapple, by running wp4.sh you are probarly setting your internet facing adaptor to 172.16.42.42 and this would break the internet connection. give us some more information to aid us in helping you.

Posted · Hidden by lufthansa747, July 6, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by lufthansa747, July 6, 2012 - No reason given

What Networking adaptors have you set up in the backtrack VM, you would need two, one for the internet in and one for the pineapple, by running wp4.sh you are probarly setting your internet facing adaptor to 172.16.42.42 and this would break the internet connection. give us some more information to aid us in helping you.

i havent set any adaptors up. i have no idea how to do that. how would i set up an adaptor for the pineapple?

i havnt setup anything to my knowledge. i am really sorry but i am completely new to this. how do i set up a connection for the pineapple? what information do you need?

Edited by lufthansa747

i havnt setup anything to my knowledge. i am really sorry but i am completely new to this. how do i set up a connection for the pineapple? what information do you need?

You Will need a Bridged adaptor for the pineapple to connect to the Virtual Machine, or you could use a usb-ethernet adaptor which would be my personal route. and you need another network adaptor which can be any as long as it has internet connectivity. See the settings menu that looks like the one below:

post-38794-0-16525300-1341643928_thumb.p

when you have set this all up you should be able to issue ifconfig in the backtrack vm and see eth0 and eth1, assuming eth0 is connected to the internet, then you run wp4.sh and select eth1 as you pineapple facing interface and eth0 as your internet facing interface.

I haven't attached my pineapple to a virtualbox, but can try later on today - after 5pm (UK time ;) )

I'm running ubuntu 12.04 but i'm sure the virtualbox settings would be the same.

You Will need a Bridged adaptor for the pineapple to connect to the Virtual Machine, or you could use a usb-ethernet adaptor which would be my personal route. and you need another network adaptor which can be any as long as it has internet connectivity. See the settings menu that looks like the one below:

when you have set this all up you should be able to issue ifconfig in the backtrack vm and see eth0 and eth1, assuming eth0 is connected to the internet, then you run wp4.sh and select eth1 as you pineapple facing interface and eth0 as your internet facing interface.

I haven't attached my pineapple to a virtualbox, but can try later on today - after 5pm (UK time ;) )

I'm running ubuntu 12.04 but i'm sure the virtualbox settings would be the same.

ok so the only reason i need a brige or usb-ethernet adaptor is because i am using a vm?

ok so how should that setup menu look like? currently i have a pineapple, alpha network card and the computers internal network card. how should i set things up?

Right, got to the point where i can access the pineapple from the vm and can access to internet from the vm, but haven't got ics quite working yet, maybe Seb can see where i'm going wrong!

We start off with our virtualbox application and create a new virtualbox

step1.png

Follow the new machine setup as seen in the pictures :

step2.png

step3.png

step4.png

No Hard Disk Needed as we will be booting a BackTrack Live CD in the machine:

step5.png

Ignore this Error:

step6.png

final step:

step7.png

Select the Settings for the Virtualmachine and set up some network adaptors:

Adaptor 1 is ok as it is:

step15.png

Adaptor 2 needs to be set like this:

step16.png

Lets start our Virtual Machine and follow the first boot steps:

step9.png

Select our Backtrack .iso file:

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p110/taylorjoshu00/VirtualBox%20pineapple/step10.png

and boot....

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p110/taylorjoshu00/VirtualBox%20pineapple/step11.png

Just leave it to boot...

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p110/taylorjoshu00/VirtualBox%20pineapple/step12.png

When you get your prompt type 'startx' and hit enter

when you run ifconfig you should see two adaptors (eth0 and eth1) - in my picture you only see one- i forgot to screenshot with both which i was testing. but you should see two! (+ the 'lo' interface)

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p110/taylorjoshu00/VirtualBox%20pineapple/step13.png

The interface which has a ip-address already is the one connected to the internet - in my case eth0!

lets wget our wp3.sh from 'www.wifipineapple.com/wp3.sh'

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p110/taylorjoshu00/VirtualBox%20pineapple/step17.png

lets chmod +x the wp3.sh and run it, remember to plug you pineapple into your ethernet port.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p110/taylorjoshu00/VirtualBox%20pineapple/step18.png

You can see i setup the eth0 as internet and eth1 as pineapple.

ping the pineapple to make sures its up and connected:

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p110/taylorjoshu00/VirtualBox%20pineapple/step19.png

and there we have it, backtrack vm with pineapple connected:

note: when i connected to the pineapple via ethernet it came up as connected in ubuntu, and just selected disconnect and left the cable plugged into the laptop and it still works in the vm, otherwise you have a backtrack vm and a ubuntu host connected to the pineapple.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p110/taylorjoshu00/VirtualBox%20pineapple/safeimg.png

These Steps should be pretty easy to replicate on your mac!

These Steps should be pretty easy to replicate on your mac!

i followed every step and all my screens looked exactlly like yours but still nothing. although this time i do have internet connection but trying to ping the pineapple does not work. any ideas?

but! for some reason i am able to connect to it with my iphone and from the iphone i can log into the pineapple. why does it work from the iphone but not the backtrack vm?

Edited by lufthansa747

VMBox is not great on MacOSX, I would highly suggets using VMWare essentials, I think you can pick it up for less than 40 dollars at the moment.

Virtual Machines cannot access the hardware directly, it is a basic security system to prevent something screwing up your computer.

Even when you are using an ethernet cable on a VM, what is happening is a software bridge between the VM and your Mac/PC.

If you get a cheap USB network dongle, you can connect directly to the pineapple (in VMWare it even gives you the opportunity to permanently assign the device to the VM so that it is associated every time you boot the VM)

Follow the guides elsewhere on the forum, on how to continue from there. I use a MacBook, running VMware - BT5 R2, and have never had an issue so far. Had it set up in minutes.